Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit Quincy with my son for his birthday today. Got there around 6:45. Stiayed till 10:30. Took the canoe and started working along the inlet and out about 100 yards from there. Using wacky rigged senkos and motor oil colored twister tails. Mark hooked a big bass right away on a twister tail, lost it at the boat. :-\

Worked our way east around the bend, Mark started using a 5 inch red/white zara spook. He was walking the dog looking for a muskie. No muskie had a nice 16 inch rainbow take it though. Was very cool to see it hit the surface to take it. Surprising too, never thought a trout would hit that big of a lure.

A little later hit another big bass on the same plug near a submerged tree. It hit about 2 seconds after the plug hit the water. He lost it half way to the boat. Funny thing is he ended up with a hook, old warn out senko and about 4 feet of line it was all attached to. I think he missed the hook up but snagged into a previous hook hanging onto the fish.

Day was beautiful
Water Temp 68-69 on surface
Clarity 8-10 feet
Wind Light

Great day fishing, Great morning for my son's 22 birthday. No matter how old my boys get they still love to out fish me!

Dan

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Good story dan. Trout will hit big lures, at taylor I caught a small 12 or 13" bow on a #15 panther martin. Trout are dumb fish that will hit just about anything! I guess that's why they are so popular. Too bad you didn't get any musky

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Thanx for the report.

Those trout at Q will hit alot of things you wouldn't think of. Theres days ill be fishing for bass with a 4' craw texas rigged and end up catching more trout than bass.

-Jay

C

·
0 Posts
nice report! I've tried looking for those muskie too, the only one I've seen was last year when I was in a canoe I turnaround to see this huge muskie just staring at me at the surface! scared me so much i nearly fell out the boat!

M

·
0 Posts
pescado loco said:
....and a bass will rarely, or never, hit salmon eggs, marshmallows, etc.!  I guess now that I think about it, most trout are quite dumb.
LOL-- then bass must be really stupid for taking a bass lure. A buddy and I caught a few 10 inch trout on a 4 inch salmo. Talk about a fish that fish must have thought he was a Bad @ss

·
Registered
213 Posts
A friend and I tried Quincy today from about 3 til 6 didn't get a bite or catch of any kind. Saw all kinds of bass swimming in the water but not a one would even take a look at anything we threw at them. We don't have a boat or floaty boats so shore fishing is all we can do but we have gotten the skunk there today and at the Chatfield ponds for the last few times we've gone. Sometimes I'll get one to follow my lure but thats about it. Any tips at all?

·
Registered
636 Posts
According to out Quincy expert, fish the dam if you are on shore. Try to use a gold kastmaster or tube jigs. A senko weightless gave me a few hits last time I was there but couldn't hook up. You should get a pair of waders, definetily makes a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts