Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was close to 4lb id have to say. Does that sound about right to anyone?

I used one of those online fish calculators and they need the girth. I didnt get that. I used a sharpie to mark on my pole the lengh. Im guess about 11in around

-Jay

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
It was close to 4lb id have to say. Does that sound about right to anyone?

-Jay
Sounds right.. So you gonna submit that and put your name down on history or wha?

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Qualifies for a Master Angler award, if you care for that..

Check out the qualification lengths..
http://wildlife.state.co.us/imagedb/images/328.jpg

If you want to print out an application form and submit it, here's your link:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/fishing/Awards_and_Records/masterAnglerEntryForm.pdf

BTW they've got this verification thing where the signature of one witness is needed with a confirmed photo and two witnesses are needed without a photo. If neither of those two categories for verification are met then well.... You can always submit one next time and I'm sure you'll get another qualifier. But a 21 incher with your name on it sounds better than an 18 incher  ;)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was by myself. There was some dude in a boat right near me but I dont know if he was def or what....That thing jump out of the water a few times and it got me stuck in a weed bed and I was droping 'f' bombs like crazy and this dude didnt even look over once.

Oh well.

-Jay

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Kewl, kewl.. I've passed up all my largemouth qualifiers from previous years too.  I guess the thrill of catching was good enough for me. Not much folks submit LM for some reason anyway. I guess because it's actually (surprisingly to some folks) common to catch lunker LMB in Colorado.. As for this year, I vowed to myself to get a lil recognition for my so-called skeeeelz. Wanted to brag to Pops how his son (the pupil) has now become the.......

Ok, I'm getting cocky, I'll shut up..

Once again.. 21 inch LM Bass (sigh).. Great fish!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks bro! I catch all my big fish when there is no one to see them. I guess that Murphys law. And how ever this Murphy dude is Id like to kick his a$$!!!

-Jay

·
Registered
213 Posts
I still wanna know how you guys are getting these bass while being visible to them. Seems like when I was at Quincy or the ponds at Chatfield it would be more like hunting and keeping myself hidden from then in order to catc them. I might just not use the right stuff, now when you guys are doing stuff weightless how are you retreiving them? Is it just rise and fall or are you scooting it along the bottom or near the top? I need to get a video or something that can show me how the bait is working in the water so I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I caught both my bass on a spinnerbait. Id cast it out and reel it in pretty fast.

-Jay

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have caught quite a few bass on spinners but the worms i would just slowly lift and let settle then repeat working it back. I will say thou the majority of the time they would take the worm right after it hit the water and run with it. Good thing they hold on too those senkos for a while

·
Registered
15 Posts
either a firetiger or all gold mepps agilia #1. you catch trout on them too but i dont really mind that they are still fun to catch too

·
Registered
213 Posts
Jay:

I'm guessing you use waders to get past the muck and from the post about the bass hitting your leg. Will waders really help that much? I'd think it would scare the fish more being out in the water compared to just being on the land and staying out of their sight but I guess thats just as hard to do. The fish just seem so accustomed to humans its like they won't go after anything at all for me. Also where on Quincy is the best for bass? or is it all around?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Id say it could go either way. Some of the shore line is sand as far as you can wade than it turns to muck. If the fish are in alittle deeper water than wader will get you out farther. I also wade out as far is I can and turn around and cast sidways to the shore.

-Jay

·
Registered
213 Posts
cool, might have to invest in some waders then. I know that casting along the shore is usually the best for results since thats where all the fish are and leaves the bait in the strike zone longer. What about bait size? would you say that in clear water like quincy and the chatfield ponds the lure should be smaller or bigger? I've been using stuff from my banjo minnow kit and I'm out of the smaller 3" fish and now have to use the 4 1/2" ones that are quite a bit bigger then the small ones and wonder if thats my problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts