Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Quincy around 7. Fished from the bank along the left side if u r looking from the parking lot. Nothing going there. Saw one guy haul one in while he was wading, but it got off about half way to him. Then went to the dam. Dock was too crowded. The wind was blowing like crazy. Got a small LM bass on a rainbow pattern rapala countdown. Then I went to the dock when some people left. While I was there my buddy caught a 14 inch LM bass on a kastmaster with an orange stripe. It was his first bass and he said it fought harder than any trout he's ever caught. Way to go for him. The guys on the dock were doing what I call "Quincy Cheating" where you use Gulp earthworms since u cant use bait. They were catching a bunch of trout. I went back to the dam. It was dark, but very calm and lgithning. I tied on the Kastmaster and got a lil bass and my buddy got a tiny trout.

Slow start, but a good day overall. Ill be there bright and early when the gates oipen tomorrow. Tell me if ur gonna be there ill say hi.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I guess the rangers did not know they were using the gulp earthworms.......they always tell me and check my bag to see if I have any power bait or organic type lures. (maybe I look guilty) They are usually pretty tough on what you can and can;t use out there.

Dan

·
Registered
41 Posts
Whoa -- I didn't know that possession of bait is considered a sign of guilt. I keep all my stuff, including some (hardly ever used) Power Bait, in my bag all the time -- if I ever get to Quincy, I'll have to purge the bag. Good info.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Yep they will bust you for just having it with you. Depends on who checks you, the first time I got checked on the shore, the guy asked me to take it back to the car and did not ticket me. After that I always double checked before leaving the car.

Dan

·
Registered
247 Posts
the first (and probably the only) time i ever went there they wouldnt let me launch my canoe without checking:

a) my boat registration cause i had the trolling motor
b) my fishing license
c) my tackle bag for any powerbait... and glass containers
d) my cooler for worms... and glass containers
e) my backpack for anything else .... and glass containers.

Then they tried it again while i was out on the lake and one more time when i came in to leave. They must have thought i snuck live bait, powerbait, and glass containers out on the water.

It was to much for me, it takes away from the fun, i dont think i'll go back.

with that said, i dont mind the occasional license check, but not the "rubber glove" test

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I like the strict rules. Keeps the crowds down and the fishery good. Now if they would make ALL bass Cath and release it would be great

IMO'

-Jay

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good call jay, i alway release everything anyway, unless i gill hook it

i believe gulp worms are not considered bait, but soft plastics, maybe they will fiure it out

·
Registered
15 Posts
First time poster but long time reader. I get checked almost every time I put my pontoon in but they have never checked for bait or anything. Actually went there today before the rain and did okay on a #1 fire tiger mepps untill i bent it trying to take the hook out of a fish. only one bass and 4 trout in 3 hrs so not to bad and as always catch and release. still cant get a bass over 2 1/2 lbs but catch 2 lb trout on diving rapals go figure... Anyways i am there all the time so maybe will bump into someone.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
I like the strict rules. Keeps the crowds down and the fishery good. Now if they would make ALL bass Cath and release it would be great

IMO'

-Jay
LOL nah. Jerry creek reservoirs are a fishery that needs harvest of the smaller largemouth IMO.
dan, I don't believe they can ticket you if you just have it in your possession.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i promise they can and will ticket you at quincy for having it in your possession

if you want you can try it out, haha, but its a minimum $65 fine from what the ranger told me

i just took my old taclke box and threw all my PB and such in there

but let me reiterate, they WILL ticket you and they have the right, it's clearly posted

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
That's why I don't carry it. I just use it when it comes around. I hate being busted for posession........ Powerbait and livebait, that is..

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
and you guys delete my posts about a unethical fisherman???
good job.. gee i wonder what you're talking about. bait?? ya right..

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just a misdemeanor yeah, but i dont feel like giving quincy a freee $65

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i think maybe hes implying that an unethiccal fisherman would use bait when it is VERY VERY CLEARLY posted all over the place

i would agree

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
From what I've heard, it doesn't take much to catch a fish at Quincy. So bait wouldn't even be necessary. I'm thinking a pack of your favorite plastics, some EWG hooks, some cranks and spinners will get you on em.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts