Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I got to the school across from Quincy at 4:30. We set up the trolling motor and got everything in my new bass boat. We were read for everything. We got on the water at ten after five and took a few casts along the dam. Then we headed to the back of the island. I was using watermelon Senkos and he was using a 1/4 oz. Blue Fox spinner. Before the sun was completely out, the fish were surfacing all over the place. I wish I brought the fly rod. I was getting nibbles on my Texas-rigged Senko, but I think it was trout, because I couldn't get a hook set. We went over to the cove behind the island where water was flowing in and tried our luck. Finally around 7:00 I hooked up with a swim-n-jig. I thought I had lost him so I slowed my reeling to see if he was still on. He was still on until I did that, then I saw him get off and reeled in the mass of weeds he swam through. We trolled with muskie lures (just in case) all the way to the far side of the lake where the cove goes way back near some houses. My friend and I tried just about everything we knew, but we couldn't get a bite. We trolled back to the island around 10:00. By this time we could see tons of bass, but they weren't hungry. I also saw one massive trout that must have been pushing 22 inches. Around 11:00 we trolled back along the dam and left.

I think there were only three other people there, and the lake was glass. It was a "perfect" day. I was watching Bill Dance the other day and the topic was barometric pressure. According to him, "perfect" days really aren't the best bass fishing days, because the bass either suspend in deep water or find thick cover and hide out.

This was the first time I got my new boat (Don's old boat) on the lake to do some real fishing. The fishing wasn't good, but the boat worked out beautifully.

The weeds at Quincy are a pain, but with a good weedless rig, I think you can get into some great bass lruking underneath them.

If the fish were hungry, we would have slayed them. I always say that...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
man already trying to get back to school... ITS SUMMER ENJOY IT. :p Glad you were able to get the boat out... the "test day" for the boat usually never has good fishing, but that just means the days that come will be better... or atleast we hope. :p

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They need to rename that school "Early Birds Quincy Waiting School."

There are usually four or five people waiting to get in, but today there were only two others.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Glad to hear you finally got a boat, CONGRATS.

As far as all the weeds at the Q, I've NEVER seen that place so weedy.

-Jay

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yee haw .. that was me behind you guys in my work van ..thats some loud country music early in the morning . looks like a sweet set up you got with your new boat . I thought the other guy waiting with his boat was a turd . anyways I did pretty good off the dock with wacky rigged senko's caught a couple around 16 inches . seen a couple real hawgs swimmin that would come up to my senko smell it and take off. then a caught a few more on the other side of all the boats on a jig and pig . no doubt about the fish rising in the morning its like all the trout were making fun of me . i had my fly rod all set up this morning to but i figured i would save if for the big t this weekend . I was gonna take my pontoon boat out there but im just fishing before work and thats to much of a chore . all in all good day fishing at 5 in the morning and at work by 9 .

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jay_In_Parker said:
As far as all the weeds at the Q, I've NEVER seen that place so weedy.

-Jay
I think the weeds may be so thick this year because we didn't have much of a winter. Maybe if the weather didn't warm up as early as it did the weesd wouldn't be this thick yet. I don't know.

We were blasting our country because I was bored and called the radio station and requested a song, so I had to see if they played it. They didn't, but the laady talked to me for awhile about fishing. Also, that other uy mauy have been a turd, but he had a sweet truck.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much wieght can your boat handle...i want to get a little boat like that

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well the capacity with gear is 500, but i guarantee we were pushin 650, ran like a charm

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet im gonna have to get something like that ...ive got a personall pontoon but its a pain and i cant carry a quarter of the gear i want to

1 - 9 of 9 Posts