Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone school me on launching a boat onto Quincy? It says hand launch only. Can you back a trailer near the water and drag a boat in/out? I have a 15’ Jon Boat I’d like to use there this season. Any tips or methods would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Is Quincy not frozen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From their web site;
Closed for the season.
Quincy Reservoir is closed for the season and will reopen on March 1, 2018. Boating will be available once the ice clears the lake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I know it’s closed for the season. I’m trying to get things ready to go for March. If they were open I would go talk to the rangers, I live about 10 mins away. I have kicked around a few ideas to get the boat on / off the trailer, but I was looking to get info from some of you who have more actual experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, hand launch from a trailer there all the time. A tilt trailer or tilt bunks helps a lot. I back up until the wheels are at the edge of the water for launch/recovery.

I put eight foot bunks on the trailer, so it extends a bit more over water. Looks a bit goofy on the 12' Mirrocraft, but goes almost all the way to the end of the Osagian canoe or 15' Gheenoe.

Hey at least you don't have worry about those leaky trailer lights there. :)

After it opens, shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Muttbike, thank you for the info. That was what I thought. I may be able to get my hands on a tilt trailer, that would make things easier for sure. I’m thinking about adding some transom launching wheels and an electric winch just to make life a little easier. I’ll hit you up when the season is underway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m about 5 miles away. I like fishing Quincy because I can go after work for a couple hours and still be home at a reasonable time.

I am open to information about a real lake...

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Does Quincy have any muskie any more? I was always extremely intrigued by the state record rap sheet for the species coming from a lake that size. I see a report from 2011 so apparently there could be a few.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am no expert, so please correct me if I’m wrong, but there are no muskie. They have not stocked them in a long time and that particular fish does not breed. So my assumption is that the last of the stocked fish have died off. It is an OK lake to fish, I just like it cause it’s very close to my house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No more Muskie, but LMB, SMB, crappie, yellow perch and yearly stocked rainbows are there. I like the craps myself. No structure there to speak of, just weedlines. Bout 40-50ish feet at the deepest. Nice old Tollgate creek channel down the middle.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
I agree,

Make sure you empty your tackle box of anything scented, salted or eggs/power bait.

Be ready for a shake down at any time.
It's been many many moons since they patrolled the lake like they used to. People swimming, using bait and taking short fish out by the bucketload is the new Quincy reservoir and the Rangers sit and watch.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's been many many moons since they patrolled the lake like they used to. People swimming, using bait and taking short fish out by the bucketload is the new Quincy reservoir and the Rangers sit and watch.

Wow I guess that's good an bad. I went twice years ago and didn't feel like it was worth the harassment.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Scented ok, just has to be at least 1 1/2" long. No power bait type stuff tho.
Is that a Quincy rule? Two years ago I called the ranger at Spinney and gave him a link that contained and stated the one and a half inch rule in the Colorado Statutes. He got back to me and said it was outdated and absolutely no scented plastics regardless of length are allowed in artificial fly and lure waters.

Here's the statute I sent him.

http://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=120

1 - 20 of 21 Posts