Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a season pass to Quincy for my enitre family. This will be my second year and from my last years experience I had a blast. But I have just learned that the new rules forbid the use of scented, salted or any flavord lures. i.e. senko's and other salt impregnated plastics. I have caught over a dozen keeper bass last year and not harvested a single one. However i did take the perch regularly. I am not happy with the new regulation and am wondering if in 2007 they will prohibit the use of rod & reels and allow fishing by bare hands only. Is there a way to fight this injustice? Was this rule change pushed by some fu fu fly fisherman? Or was it the DOW.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I have news for you, Its not just the Q its a state wide law for any place that doesnt allow 'live bait'. It has nothing to do with the take/harvest of fish but the damage it causes to the trout.(Thats what I was told) Colorado=Trout & Trout=$ :( :(

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
I'm really surprised they haven't outlawed the use of corn for the same reason. Salmonids (all types of trout) can't digest corn. Whether you keep em or not, the corn will kill 'em if they eat it.

My problem is 99% of my gear goes with me in the boat. One of these days I'm going to be at one of those lakes in the boat and will have a can of Powerbait or scented lures laying around. Won't be on purpose, won't be fishing with them, but I know with my luck, I'll get nailed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How much for the season pass to Quincy?? I have been told the Bass fishing is pretty good out there, I am going to try it this year. I have never been there before. Is there a charge for a jon boat on the water also? Like chatfield. Would it do us any good to boycott quincy for a year to get the regulation changed? I don't want to hurt the trout, but I love the senko worms for catch and release Bass.

M

·
0 Posts
jamiehughes said:
trout can't digest corn, but it will just pass through them. like all the other parts of stuff they eat(i.e. crawdad claws and shells,insect shells)and can't digest.
Thanks Jamie for setting me straight - was brought up being told what I posted but after reading your post I did some research and came across a study that a biologist at a hatchery in PA did that pointed out the same thing. Guess I'll have to try the white kernel corn technique that everyone tells me to use on Kokes this summer!

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
no prob ed i used to think the same until someone set me straight. i used to think that there was no way they could pass some of the huge crawdads that i have found in them, but they don't seem to have a prob with it. though some of that stuff must hurt coming out. :eek:

F

·
0 Posts
Quincy and Spinney had problems with fisherman using gulp style baits the same way they would worms or salmon eggs. Instead of banning gulp style baits they just got rid of anything scented or salted. Personally I see the rule as unenforceable and a waste of time....Instead of the ranger smelling my plastics or tasting them for salt he could be busting the guys on the other end of the lake with a stringer of 20 trout they caught on nightcrawlers. If you don't attend meetings and speak up to whats going on around you this is the end result!!!

M

·
0 Posts
pass to q is 35, the combo for aurora and q is 60 for people who dont live in aurora, not sure the resident fee

it's not bass fishing season yet, so the regulation hasnt bothered me..i used to use tubes for trout a lot, and i talked to a ranger out there about just rinsing the baits that were slaty, but not injected with salt, and he said he didn't have a problem yet

im not trying to get around the rule, it just hard to find all my favorite patterns unscented and unsalted

·
Registered
307 Posts
I seriously doubt that "rinsing" or "washing" plastics that were manufactured as salty or scented baits will be acceptable but it does remain to be seen. I am not going to be the first one to try "I rinsed it off". You can bet you'll be checked at Quincy.

That sounds like, "I only had one beer" or "my speedometer must not be working" or thousands of other things police and rangers hear all the time. There is a probability that a fine will follow.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Strange but I thought corn was against the rules in the Colorado reg's I read before awhile back?
You might be thinking of Wyoming's regs...I believe it is illegal to use corn there...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
zman said:
Strange but I thought corn was against the rules in the Colorado reg's I read before awhile back?
You might be thinking of Wyoming's regs...I believe it is illegal to use corn there...
Its weird but this seems to be a common thought in Colorado that corn is illegal.

M

·
0 Posts
I left California about 15 years ago - it was illegal there (at least when I left) and I think it's illegal (or was) in Idaho and Montana as well. What caught me off guard is I even remember talking to Milty Jr. about it and he agreed with me in thinking that corn harmed fish. Here's a link to the PA Division of Wildlife site that backs Jaime

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

Also have learned since then that corn (or corn byproducts) is what the fish farmers use to feed the fish you buy at the grocery store (catfish, trout, etc.) because it's cheaper.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
Also have learned since then that corn (or corn byproducts) is what the fish farmers use to feed the fish you buy at the grocery store (catfish, trout, etc.) because it's cheaper.
This is why corn works so well on trout.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Mr. Ed said:
I left California about 15 years ago - it was illegal there (at least when I left) and I think it's illegal (or was) in Idaho and Montana as well.  What caught me off guard is I even remember talking to Milty Jr. about it and he agreed with me in thinking that corn harmed fish.  Here's a link to the PA Division of Wildlife site that backs Jaime

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

The article states the study showed feeding a diet of corn stunted the growth of the fish under study. So although it does not kill them, does not sound like it is the greatest for them either.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts