Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Korey Ferguson. New member to these forums. I grew up in Texas fishing huge lakes like Amistad, and Sam Raybourn. Now living up here in Colorado fishing the small resevoirs is a big change but I have noticed that the bass still react to the same techniques I used in high school and in college.

I have caught some nice smallies out of Quincy and a few Large Mouths. I practice catch and release because of the small numbers in local resevoirs but it has been alot of fun.

I have heard alot of talk about the next state record small mouth probably coming out of Aurora Resevoir. This may be true and if it is I hope its on the end of my line.

I caught a nice 3lb 11oz small mouth off the damn on Quincy about 3 weeks ago and I hope to keep up the success of catching nice small mouths out here in Colorado.

Just wanted to write a posts that may show people there are some good bass waters here in Colorado.

Korey Ferguson
http://www.clearwateroutfitter.com
http://www.clearwateroutfitter.blogspot.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I caught two really nice small mouth bass today out at Quincy Reservoir. The pictures where posting way to big on here so here is a link to the pictures and the story.
(edit) One Large Mouth, and One Small Mouth(edit) sorry for the mistake everyone.

One of them was about 1 1/2 lbs and the other about 2 1/2 lbs. Took me a while to actually get these two. Wasn't till I moved to the dock and changed what I was throwing at them.

Thanks Everyone,

Korey Ferguson
http://www.clearwateroutfitter.com

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Look like largemouth to me. I haven't caught a smallie at quincy, Txt is the guy to answer this one. But i think they're both largemouth.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Welcome to the forum Korey and welcome to Colorado.Colorado bass fishing will be a big change for you thats for sure.

Your fishing a good body of water there at the Q.Quincy and Aurora Reservoir are two of the best bass fisheries in the state.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually I'm not an outfitter yet I just put in my application. Your right one is a LMB my "huge mistake" I was typing everything fast so wasn't paying attention. Thank you for the correction.

I've never really caught a large mouth that small and just wasn't paying attention trying to take the picture real quick and get it back in the water.

Noticed it was a largemouth after I was double checking my blog. Anyways jokes on me.

Please dont crucify me yet, people do make mistakes!!!

The truth is this is the first year I ever caught a small mouth bass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Longdraw, I don't think I have had the priveledge of meeting you. Unless your in DBM and we met at a meeting once, although I have only been to two. I have only lived here for 3 months.

I lived in Alaska for the past 3 years and hadn't fished for bass since 2003. So I can see how I made the mistake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bferg_80002 said:
And what is with lipping the fish like that? Dude probably dislocated some jaws.
Your Joking Right??? Pretty sure it didn't hurt the fish!! If it was wrong to lip a fish, then the phrase "lip landing" would be a bad one. Not to mention all the pro fisherman and outdoors shows on tv would never do it.

I understand though how you wanted to jump on the wagon and talk down on someone. I've done it in the past no hard feelings!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sorry you had your chance and you blew it

Boom....outta here

Just kidding dude- it is not a huge deal that you misidentified a fish.

Good job catching those fish and all and good luck with the outfitter's application. It does seem weird that you would take money from a client to "guide" them on a lake when you have only been here for 3 months and have not fished for bass in 4 years. I know a couple of guides on Quincy and Aurora and they have fished that lake for YEARS and fish it multiple times each week. You have some work cut out for you.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
clearwateroutfitter said:
I\\\'ve never really caught a large mouth that small .....
Really? That, too, seems hard to believe seein as how you spent all that time in Texas. And the biguns look just like the little ones, only bigger. LOL

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
bferg_80002 said:
And what is with lipping the fish like that? Dude probably dislocated some jaws.
Your Joking Right??? Pretty sure it didn't hurt the fish!! If it was wrong to lip a fish, then the phrase "lip landing" would be a bad one. Not to mention all the pro fisherman and outdoors shows on tv would never do it.

I understand though how you wanted to jump on the wagon and talk down on someone. I've done it in the past no hard feelings!
Oh- so if the guys on T.V. do it because they are pros then it must be the right thing to do!? Besides, I actually have not seen a Pro lip a fish like that.

Holding the fish by the lip is not a problem. But when you lip it and hold it horizontally like you did you put WAY too much pressure on the fish's jaw and could dislocate it or cause other problems. There are a couple of LMB in Quincy with deformed lips- probably from that.

So, if you hold a fish by the lip you should either hold the fish vertically like this:

(I love that picture)

Or you should put your other hand under the fish's belly to support the weight of the fish like this.

But DON'T put all the weight on the fish's jaw.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Really? That, too, seems hard to believe seein as how you spent all that time in Texas. And the biguns look just like the little ones, only bigger. LOL
Wait, you mean they are not called "Smallies" because they are small!?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your right I do have my work cut out for me, I actually dont plan on doing any reservoir guiding until next year. If I do get approved for the license.

I have done alot of fly fishing in the past 3 years up in Alaska. Trout, King Salmon, and all the little ones(jk) reds, pinks, and silvers. Then the occasional dolly or two.

I would rather learn the reservoirs before I did any guiding on them as well. I also did alot of ice fishing which is why I'm not offering any guide services until the fall. Then they will only be offered not booked until winter. Its all on my website.

The never caught a largemouth that small was more of a joke than being totally serious also. I did catch alot around that size off the rivers back in Texas on the Pitchfork ranch.

Anyways hopefully I wont get ousted by this mistake, lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bferg_80002 said:
bferg_80002 said:

Oh- so if the guys on T.V. do it because they are pros then it must be the right thing to do!? Besides, I actually have not seen a Pro lip a fish like that.

Holding the fish by the lip is not a problem. But when you lip it and hold it horizontally like you did you put WAY too much pressure on the fish's jaw and could dislocate it or cause other problems. There are a couple of LMB in Quincy with deformed lips- probably from that.

So, if you hold a fish by the lip you should either hold the fish vertically like this:

(I love that picture)

Or you should put your other hand under the fish's belly to support the weight of the fish. But DON'T put all the weight on the fish's jaw.
Thank you for the tip (being serious now) I really never heard of that being a bad thing. I can see how it would be now though. I'll make sure I dont do this anymore if it seriously is a bad thing. I consider my self an ethical outdoorsman but I dont know everything.

I look forward to learning more in the future though. 23 years of life just isn't long enough to be considered "educated enough".

you should be proud of that fish its a nice one. Is that a Large Mouth :D. lol jk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts