Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today is the day that i am goin to quit smokin well at the least give a shot i have tried multiple times in the past with no luck all cold turkey though this time i gave work2fish's advice a shot and tried something to help me out im gonna give the Nicoderm CQ (the patch) a shot so far it seems to be helping out quite a bit i normally smoke as soon as i get up cigs are my breakfeast along with a monster energy drink so far this morning i havent stopped eating food i dont mind if i put on a few pounds as i heard that happens when you quit smoking with alot of ppl....so i was wondering how many other ppl here have quit smoking or tried to quit and what helped you make it through the first couple of days?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Might want to chew gum too, this will stop you from eating so much... Its a psycological thing about smoking people have to have something to put in their mouths if they arent smoking. Everyone I know are smokers and this has helped them.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I've been smoke free for 2 weeks. Cold turkey. But I still have the craving physically. Mentally I'm fine. And yes I've gained a few pounds. It helps to have someone support you like your spouse or somebody you see everyday. Also be ready for the first week of pure torture.

Two questions you should ask your self b-4 you sucessfully quit.
1. Do you want to quit?
2. Are you ready?

Do you have it in you?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it is very difficult im workin on about 15 hours now with no smoke my brain doesnt seem to be functioning properly and i have a strange feeling in my mouth throat and chest i really cant explain the feeling it isnt a pleasent feeling so im hoping it will go away soon it started about 2 hours ago and i really am not enjoying it.... it honestly is hell and i dont know if i can go through with this however i really would like to and if not now when? so i guess im just gonna tough it out and hope i dont crack and as far as what you said fisher32 do i want to quit?yes very much so...am i ready? i honestly dont know

·
Registered
297 Posts
hang in there pitbull, i quit october 16th last year and still have times when I absolutly crave them. but the cravings are getting fewer and farther between. stay after it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My dad quit cold turkey in 1983k (smoked since he was 9), when he went to visit his mother in the hospital just before she died of lung cancer. He also took up long-distance running, and after a few years his lungs were more like a nonsmoker's. He never smoked again, and he's still doing well.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Like Cutthroat said, running really helps me stop the craving after dinner. Usually a 1-3 mile jog will do the trick. In the morning I just eat alot of fruit especially apples. Even though I only quit for 2 weeks I really miss it. Have to overcome that.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
running huh i used to do alot of running(played tons of sports as a kid) but now i think i would die ill start out with a block or 2 maybe good idea i know in recent yrs after playin a game of b-ball or somethin i definitely DID NOT wanna smoke a cig however on most occasions i did anyway go figure go play some ball and then smoke a cig..... dang addiction im done with them i want to live......

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Pitbull,

Good luck on quitting. It is tough I know. I quit the beginning of September. I fell off 2 times since then for a pack each time. First when my wife had surgery and the second time while gambling in Black Hawk.

There are certain times that will trigger a desire to smoke. Half the time when I get in my car I have a strong desire to light one up. This morning ice fishing at chatfield I felt a strong craving. They pass pretty quickly, the first week is the worse. its like you can;t get smoking out of your head.

Exercise definitely helps beat off the craving, keeping otherwise occupied too. Try to avoid your typical smoking behavior.

Say to yourself, "I can make the next 15 minutes without a smoke" when that 15 minutes is up don't light up do it again.

As Fisher32 said, "are you ready" and "do you want to quit" If you are then quitting is about 100 times easier. It was for me.

I did not go cold turkey, I allowed my self 2 a day for 10 days. One in the morning when I got up. (strongest cravings occured then) and before I went to bed.

The patch or nicorette gum can help. The gum has an odd taste to it. But it does help.

Good luck. If you fall off don't get discouraged get back on. Its an ongoing process and it is difficult.

Dan

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea it has been really tough for me today im stressed out waitin for this dang job to call me and worrying about how im gonna pay all my bills this month (if they dont call soon) and afford to have a descent christmas also but i want to do this i was thinkin about gradually workin my way down as you did with the 2 a day... i have a patch on right now and it helps but doesnt seem like enough i have been looking up ice fishing tips and different techniques all day to try and keep my mind on something other then a smoke it to has helped...(and now i have alot more ice fishing knowledge then i did this morning) but i still want one really bad i havent cracked yet but im only on day 1..oh the misery BTW chatfield is good to go then? how did ya do?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Pitbull,

Don't forget that web site: http://co.quitnet.com/ as a resource. There is a chatroom there where everybody complains about how bad they want a smoke -- pretty funny but can be helpful.

Also, there are sections that describe the common symptoms of quitting so that you know what to expect which can also be helpful. Once you register your quit date, the system will email you about how much money you've saved and the numbers are staggering! That's how you will pay for your Christmas presents ;) ;)

Hope this helps -- GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
work2fish i did that right after you PMed me last week about it.. that site is really cool and i have been complaining in that chat room throughout all of today..lol it is pretty funny tho THX for giving me the heads up on that site it got me through some cravings today and the support you can get from there helps and apparently im gonna save just under $1500 a yr! more fishin stuff for me!

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
i quit excatly six months ago but i had tried many times before just told myself this was the year. but dont beat your self up if you fail thats the worst thing to do in my opinion just keep trying every day. drink lots of water also helps elliminate the nicotine in your system.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Pit:

Never smoked regularly but had a nine year smokeless habit and quit...Got by telling myself one minute at a time than one hour and then one day at a time...That was 18 and a half years ago...GOOD LUCK! You can do it!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Pit,

Chatfield is good everywhere I have been from the north boat ramp, massey draw to just north of the swim beach at least 4 inches of mostly clear ice.

Have not had the urge to risk going more than about 75 yards from shore yet. I figure this next cold snap will make itsafe enough to venture out further.

Being on the lake was good but the fishing has been slow, I have not caught anything. had a bite but that was it.

Dan

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well i hear that theres is a snowstorm comin through how far out would you say that old road that is out there is you know what im talkin about?

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I know it. Its not hard to find especially with gps. but even without its not too bad with the proper land marks.

I want to fish it as soon as the ice is safe out there.
That is one of several locations I want to work for some winter walleye.

Dan

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea me and work2fish located it fairly easy at the chatfield get together (well mike located it...lol i didnt know about till then) marked a few fish couldnt get any to hit tho i would love to hit that up for walleye the only walleye ive ever caught was a whoppin 4 inches at standley a few months ago and i would really like to get into wally fishin but havent had much experience with them yet i do have a picture of it however....after all the crap i see you gettin still till this day i dont know if i wanna share that pic....lol

1 - 20 of 38 Posts