Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All-

Am seeking suggestions for a shorty type rain coat to go over my (stuffed)vest. Years ago I had one from Hodgeman that came with my waders that was puffy/loose enough that it would fit over the top of my full vest. It also had an elastic bottom to hold it tight around my waist and underneath my vest, it worked great. It was small enough that it I could pack it in my vest, and take it with me for short showers/bursts and then take it off when the rain was gone. It also came with an integrated hood.

I have one of those fancy Simms raincoats with all the pockets and whatnot, but I rarely wear it as it it too bulkey, too narrow at the wrist("waterproof" seal), the storage areas too limited, and just basically too overdone for my purposes. Seems as if it is a winter coat rather than a raincoat. It is an either/or situation as it doesn't fit over my vest, and I can't pack it with me, I have to wear the coat or the vest. Don't get me wrong, it is a high quality Simms product, it just doesn't suit my purposes.

TIA, JGB

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Did you do a web search for wading jacket?...also check ebay u might be able to find your old one?

·
Registered
541 Posts
It sounds like you might be wanting a packable rain jacket to go in your vest. A lot of the big name brands like North Face or Mountain Hardware make pretty good jackets that stow really well. If you sized up you could fit the jacket underneath the vest for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have checked most shops with no luck. Those shops also tell me they know of no such item produced by any of the name manufacturers.

I carry a NorthFace packable/lite raincoat/shell with me and it suffices for now, but there is too much stuff in my vest to get it zipped. Maybe if my belly was smaller...? Nah.

Will continue to hunt on line, thx for the input.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Check LL Bean out....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Find a shortie twice the size you normally wear. Shorties have two functions. One is as a raincoat and the other is to allow for deeper wading. If you are in a river and up to the bottom of the shortie, you may be in trouble. I never wade in moving water that deep.

Quando Omni flunkus moritati.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thrift shop :) a 500 dollar simms rain jacket is no bettrr at staying dry than a 2 dollar packable one. I will say tho ive had the same reddington wading jacket for years, had to refresh the repellancy a couple times but its the best 30 bucks ive spent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx for the comments.

Have done the $5 poncho route years ago, probably still have one somewhere stashed away. They function OK, but are a little too flimsy and don't fit snug enough. I don't need anything else getting in the way to make my casting worse!

Years ago I was spoiled by a shortie rain jacket/shell that came with my Hodgeman waders. The shell was basic; no pockets, no zip - although it did have a snap for the neck opening, just a hood and elastic bottom that would snug up around the bottom of my vest. Stowed small, and I could just pull it over my vest and be dry. Worked perfectly as the fit was a little "billowy", so it allowed me to wear my vest under it with no problem.

There are a bunch of raincoats by the usual bunch of manufacturers, most are high quality product$, but they all(?) are intended to be used as a vest too as they have pockets, zingers, D-rings,... I don't want any of that stuff as I want something to put over my vest with minimal fofarah.

I am probably chasing a unicorn. Might go the Hefty Garbage Bag route...!

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Buy a box of Contractor trash bags from home depot...a lot more heavy duty...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have an ultralight packable camo jacket from Cabelas that I got about 10 years ago. Stuffs down to about the size of two softballs, and it fits well over any clothing I've ever had on plus the top part of my waders, but I've not worn it over a fishing vest. I would think buying it in an Xtra Large or bigger would work just fine. It has a really good hood that cinches down and doesn't let water in to the neck area.

But, someone here mentioned LL Bean and it piqued my interest. Found this at the website, sure looks like it could work, depending on what size you actually need:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/90968?page=llbean-ultralight-packable-wading-jacket-mens-regular&csp=a&feat=80585-item_page.recsmiddle

·
Registered
585 Posts
I use a $25 Frog Toggs waterproof shell from Sportsmans. I use a fanny pack, so storage is not an issue with a jacket to me. It even works well winter fishing as I just put it over layers to keep me dry and its black to soak up winter sun if its out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
madjas has a great idea with Frog Toggs. I have the trouser and jacket. They are very light weight and I believe they are breathable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts