Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of the best way to catch a rainbow at night. I tried a few times without any success. Nightcrawlers maybe? Or bright orange power bait?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
There is an article in the new Colorado Fisherman magazine about fly fishing for trout at night.  Its a great article, man those writers they have are great.  ;)  Anyways I wont give it all away but I would try streamers (for fly) rainbow rapalas or dark crankbait, and maybe dark curly tail jigs.
I know my neighboor catches them with crawdads at 11-mile at night.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i bagged a batch at brush hollow under a floating light on chartruse marabu jigs with and with out tipping with a minnow this was back awhile

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
11-mile at night is always hot for bo's.It helps to float whatever bait u use so the crawdaddy's cant get it.We used to put marshmallows on the hook with worms to float them.Or you can "pump them up".Power bait works great!

·
Registered
943 Posts
marshmallows are agreat way to float your bait and the trout seem to love them.i always have a baggie with me when i am fishing for trout(where allowed of course. just remember if it is hot out you end up with marshmallow cream. ;D

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah and if its cold and the fish arnt bitting you can put them in your hot coco

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe just don't try so hard?
I've caught them lately late at night while we were trying to fish for cats. I caught two at Lon Hagler (SP?) on chicken livers :eek: and two at Stanley on carp cutbait :D. One more at Stanley on shrimp.
Also one on nightcrawlers after midnight at Stanley, but crawlers are so "normal"
I was laughing and shocked to pull out the ones on livers & carp. A lil shocked at the one on shrimp. Guess they were really hungry?

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Hey oats,I did that trick at Skinny Fish lake in the flattops.It was like 11 pm and no moon I was in my belly boat.Nice cuttys that night.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Slayer, when all the stars line up, it can be a excellent techneque in high mountain lakes. Next time I go I'm gonna bring shrimp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts