Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here raise their own minnows? I was thinking about trying it but I really cant find any good information on it, or atleast detailed information. I am not talking mass scale raising, just enough to have bait for me and my friends. Is it economical, I mean 2.50$ a dozen isnt alot of money can I raise, feed them for under that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I kept minnows for 2 seasons when I lived in MO. Didn't get them to spawn but bought them in bulk and kept them in a small horse tank. It ended up saving a little bit. I did it because my trips always seemed to be last minute and hated waiting for the store to open.

I don't know about here but in MO they were caught and shipped to the bait stores, noone was raising them from eggs/fry.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Just remember that if you want to net your own it is illegal to do so in most front range counties. You need to head further out into the plains.

Dan

·
Registered
81 Posts
ePiC said:
Anyone here raise their own minnows?  I was thinking about trying it but I really cant find any good information on it, or atleast detailed information.  I am not talking mass scale raising, just enough to have bait for me and my friends.  Is it economical, I mean 2.50$ a dozen isnt alot of money can I raise, feed them for under that. 
I have raised them from time to time. If the conditions are right it is not that hard. The biggest problem is keeping them from eating their eggs. Since I don't have a outdoor pond anymore it is less hassle for me to just buy them. I can dig up some info if you are interested ePic.

shadow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts