Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here raise their own minnows? I was thinking about trying it but I really cant find any good information on it, or atleast detailed information. I am not talking mass scale raising, just enough to have bait for me and my friends. Is it economical, I mean 2.50$ a dozen isnt alot of money can I raise, feed them for under that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I kept minnows for 2 seasons when I lived in MO. Didn't get them to spawn but bought them in bulk and kept them in a small horse tank. It ended up saving a little bit. I did it because my trips always seemed to be last minute and hated waiting for the store to open.

I don't know about here but in MO they were caught and shipped to the bait stores, noone was raising them from eggs/fry.

·
Registered
81 Posts
ePiC said:
Anyone here raise their own minnows?  I was thinking about trying it but I really cant find any good information on it, or atleast detailed information.  I am not talking mass scale raising, just enough to have bait for me and my friends.  Is it economical, I mean 2.50$ a dozen isnt alot of money can I raise, feed them for under that. 
I have raised them from time to time. If the conditions are right it is not that hard. The biggest problem is keeping them from eating their eggs. Since I don't have a outdoor pond anymore it is less hassle for me to just buy them. I can dig up some info if you are interested ePic.

shadow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts