Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called the Forest Service today-the road to the res. was supposed to open tomorrow. They've moved the opening to 5/13 because of snow and ice on the road and most of the res. is still iced over. This should be real good fishing for lakers, browns and bows when it opens. One other thing-I see where they have opened up the boat ramp this year. You can't go across the dam to the ramp in a closed van (explosives?) but you can in other vehicles. This is great news. If you see a guy up there with a white dog in the bow, thats me. ;D Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'm looking forward to the opening to, thats a long walk to fish it now.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know this is crazy...at least it was to me. When I went to rampart I asked how the fising was from the attendant at the front gate. He said the macs were being caught on green power bait. At first I was ticked because I thought he was pulling my leg. Sure enough the PB outfished the sucker meat 2 to 1. Never caught a mac anywhere else on power bait but I promise it worked at Rampart.

·
Registered
35 Posts
How tough is the road? Is it best to get there from Woodland Park or is there a better way? I would really like to fish there.

·
Banned
487 Posts
wmccree said:
I know this is crazy...at least it was to me.  When I went to rampart I asked how the fising was from the attendant at the front gate.  He said the macs were being caught on green power bait.  At first I was ticked because I thought he was pulling my leg.  Sure enough the PB outfished the sucker meat 2 to 1.  Never caught a mac anywhere else on power bait but I promise it worked at Rampart.
Actually I saw a friend of mine catch one small 15" mack on some chartreuse powerbait through the ice at Taylor Reservoir. Really shocked me as that was years ago and the first mack I ever saw caught by anyone.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ice I know what you mean, it was crazy. I can't wait to hit Taylor. Any word on when the ice will be off?

I always go through Woodland park to get to Rampart. It's a lot faster then coming up rampart range rd from the Springs. Any car can make it just fine.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you have a 4wd then head there from the Springs, Rampart Range road starts in Garden of the Gods right before balance rock. There are alot of side trails to have fun with your 4wd on the way there. You can make it on this road in a 2wd and it is faster then going threw woodland park. It is also a great drive with lots of scenery to look at, except the litter from the shooting range.

Alot of things will catch Macks at ice out, their eggs start raising to the surface and hatching so you have alot of little fry swimming around headed to the shallows. THis brings the Macks in, and they are opportunists so they will tag what ever is in their path if they consider it food.

·
Registered
179 Posts
ePic we need to have a race to Rampart one day. I get the Woodland the Woodland Park route though. :p

You gonna be at Pikeview tomorrow? I think I'm gonna surprise the boy and take him there for a couple hours tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
my son has a baseball game, its really cutting into my fishing time. =P
I'm hitting the Arkansas this weekend though the caddis are calling me.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I fish Rampart with just two lures-a suspending jerk and a grub on a football or stand-up head. Thats it. I like the LC Pointer and the Rogue for jerks-these are especially good during low light periods. The middle of the day I throw a single tail or boot tail grub on a 1/4 to 3/8 oz . These fish have been under the ice all winter, they're hungry and they ain't that picky!! ;D Ed

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ed are you catching trout on those Rogues along with Macs?

Don In Denver said:
What size do the Rampart macs run?
Every Mac I have caught has been between 16 and 19 inches. The DOW took the 29inch mark off at Rampart. Per them the lake just didn't grow enough over 20 and the lake was getting over populated. Don't know if that's the case but made for a tasty change ;D

·
Banned
487 Posts
wmccree said:
Ed are you catching trout on those Rogues along with Macs?

Don In Denver said:
What size do the Rampart macs run?
Every Mac I have caught has been between 16 and 19 inches.  The DOW took the 29inch  mark off at Rampart.  Per them the lake just didn't grow enough over 20 and the lake was getting over populated.  Don't know if that's the case but made for a tasty change  ;D
They are getting way too numerous in Rampart because they aren't targeted in the winter thanks to the Colorado Springs Utility goons. Another reason ice fishing needs to be allowed, to thin out the small macks.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They are overpopulated in Rampart. That and the lake doesn't seem to have much forage. The bigger macks just feed on the stockers, I'm sure, but the 14-19" group get stuck there because they are probably not big enough to feed on all but the smallest stocked fish. So what they need, IMHO, is to add to the forage-say emerald shiners or fathead minnows. But this lake is a big prt of the water supply for CS and I'm sure they are afraid to make a mistake and introduce something they later regret. Ed

·
Registered
179 Posts
The lake does seem more sterile than most. I was hoping that keeping a few of these macs would thin things out a bit but I haven't seen that yet. It's been what, 6 yrs since they lifted the 20 inch limit? That could be wrong but I know it's been long enough that we should have seen a change.

D

·
0 Posts
They are getting way too numerous in Rampart because they aren't targeted in the winter thanks to the Colorado Springs Utility goons. I'd like to see all the water supply lakes opened to fishing, too, but........

Who says they're "goons"?  ???   What gives you the right to engage in that kind of name-calling just because you disagree with their policies???

Sounds to me like the term "goon" fits better elsewhere.  Your personal attacks on folks who are just trying to do their jobs are tiresome.  Very tiresome.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My understanding is that the water can be as much as 10 feet below the ice and that's the reason for no ice fishing there.  Same went for Rosemont when it was open. Don't know about you guys but I wouldn't want to fall through that.  Maybe the "goons" are looking out for some of us  :-*

·
Banned
487 Posts
wmccree said:
My understanding is that the water can be as much as 10 feet below the ice and that's the reason for no ice fishing there.  Same went for Rosemont when it was open. Don't know about you guys but I wouldn't want to fall through that.  Maybe the "goons" are looking out for some of us  :-*
They make that excuse for everywhere. They don't understand how safe ice fishing really is. None whatsoever.
That can occasionally happen with any reservoir. But it's an exception, not the rule. Usually from what spinney rangers have told me, "cities" just use this occasional occurance to push their own agenda. Even if the water level is a few feet below the ice, the thickness and other physical properties, such as the integrity of the ice remain pretty much the same. You cannot fire a bullet from a high powered rifle through a couple inches of solid ice.
Bottom line is we the people have a right to decide what is safe and to take care of our own safety. I am sick and tired of those in charge thinking they know what's best for everyone and that they can dictate our activities. It is time for them to get the hell of our backs and butt the hell out of their lives.
And to answer your post Don, these people are NOT doing their jobs. These lakes belong to US, not these people. WE have the right to decide what we can do on public property as long as it's not harming others. Ice fishing and non motorized boating harm no one else. We pay for the lakes and the water. That makes us the owners. These people are goons for the following reasons:

1. They make decisions without the consent of the people

2. The decisions are made in an arbitrary and capricous manner

3. They use half truths, isolated anecdotal evidence, downright mistruths, and a systematic campaign of misinformation to push their agenda. They have downright contempt for people like us

4. Bottom line is they want access banned to all lakes that they can get their grubby little hands on. This is their agenda. The people that work for these public utilities have unlimited access to these lakes, and they wish to maintain an almost country club like status.

They are NOT doing their jobs, they are commiting acts of tyranny on a small scale. They are being selfish, and are acting in ways that make a shame of this great democratic republic we live in. They act like this is communist china or cuba and they can do whatever they want.

The only reason regulations like this exist is because we sit around and allow it to happen. If people simply stood up and fought, this wouldn't be the case.
You don't understand, I AM WITH YOU GUYS, not against you. I just am willing to be outspoken and very gung ho about making changes. I am already standing up to these people and attempting change. If everybody stood up with me, we could make this a reality. It doesn't take an act of congress to make these changes. All it takes is a local ballot measure started by a citizen petition. I will be asking people in each municipality to start a petition for a ballot measure. So it's not as if I'm just sitting and complaining, I am out here fighting.
We have nearly won the right to use non motorized boats on Jerry Creek Reservoirs thanks to public pressure. And they are owned by a private utility, not a public one like every single one of these other lakes. So if a company can be forced to action, so can petty little bureaucrats.
If any of you want to join me in the fight, PM me or email me at [email protected]. If you think I'm making untrue statements like a couple of you might think, PM me and I will show you the facts to back up my assertions. If I'm OFFENDING you, PM me and we will talk about it in a respectful manner.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts