Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
I know this is crazy...at least it was to me. When I went to rampart I asked how the fising was from the attendant at the front gate. He said the macs were being caught on green power bait. At first I was ticked because I thought he was pulling my leg. Sure enough the PB outfished the sucker meat 2 to 1. Never caught a mac anywhere else on power bait but I promise it worked at Rampart.

· Registered
186 Posts
Ice I know what you mean, it was crazy. I can't wait to hit Taylor. Any word on when the ice will be off?

I always go through Woodland park to get to Rampart. It's a lot faster then coming up rampart range rd from the Springs. Any car can make it just fine.

· Registered
186 Posts
ePic we need to have a race to Rampart one day. I get the Woodland the Woodland Park route though. :p

You gonna be at Pikeview tomorrow? I think I'm gonna surprise the boy and take him there for a couple hours tomorrow.

· Registered
186 Posts
Ed are you catching trout on those Rogues along with Macs?

Don In Denver said:
What size do the Rampart macs run?
Every Mac I have caught has been between 16 and 19 inches. The DOW took the 29inch mark off at Rampart. Per them the lake just didn't grow enough over 20 and the lake was getting over populated. Don't know if that's the case but made for a tasty change ;D

· Registered
186 Posts
The lake does seem more sterile than most. I was hoping that keeping a few of these macs would thin things out a bit but I haven't seen that yet. It's been what, 6 yrs since they lifted the 20 inch limit? That could be wrong but I know it's been long enough that we should have seen a change.

· Registered
186 Posts
My understanding is that the water can be as much as 10 feet below the ice and that's the reason for no ice fishing there.  Same went for Rosemont when it was open. Don't know about you guys but I wouldn't want to fall through that.  Maybe the "goons" are looking out for some of us  :-*

· Registered
186 Posts
A bit of advise then..and I'm not bashing at all because "some" of what you say is true. You need to pick your fights and go at it one or two at a time. If it's a gripe about EVERYTHING the organization does no one will listen. Also a positive approach might get everyone closer to the end goal. What if the DOW wasn't here, we would see stringers of 30 fish like the old school pictures show.

Down the road you will make a great board member for TU or BASS... :)
I hope this doesn't take away from us fishing together in July!

With Rampart being the last stop, thus the first water taken, it makes sense to me that it could get drawn down very quick. Even a 3 foot gap could be trouble for most.

· Registered
186 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
If that means putting ourselves at slight risks and opening up the possibility that people without common sense could hurt themselves, so be it.
Hypothetically we erase the rules that you don't see fit. i.e. ice fishing on Rampart for example.

16yr old teenager falls through and dies.

*Parents sue the City (It's our water supply) and the State because they knew there was a 1 in 10 chance the water level dropped.

*The majority is pissed at the state for not having rules in place in this unique situation.

*license prices double to cover liability issues due to a continued lack of responsiveness.

*We are in the same boat for hating the DOW over the rising costs of our passion.

I guess my point is I truly believe that the DOW does do what the believe is in the best interest in the rules of safety and the wildlife mgt. Have they made some mistakes, absolutely! Were the mistakes malicious, no way. I would never fire someone for making a mistake that they thought was in our best interest.

Other then ePic I know of no one that has gone to the recent DOW meetings. That includes myself. They have the meetings all the time. So they have made the effort and given a forum for us to voice an opinion in a group of our peers. If you (we) feel strongly about a particular subject we get everyone together and attend a meeting in a positive, constructive way, and take it from there. Again, one or two issues at a time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.