Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and I finally took my canoe out on its maiden voyage. Our original plan was to leave work at 2:30 and get on North Catamount. Unfortunately the Pikes Peak Highway was closed when we got there at 3:15. We scooted over to Rampart where I hadn't been in 10-12 years just to find out that they close at 7PM. It was going to be a short day.

We put in the canoe and paddled over to a north cove and tossed crocodiles. I caught 5 stockers and my friend caught 2 stockers. I also caught a nice 14" bow on a Dave's Hopper pattern that I tried within 3' of shore. No bugs to speak of - a few solitary midges here and there and virtually no surface activity.

As we were loading up our canoe another canoe came in. They had a nice stringer full of lakers and bows. The lakers looked to be in the 18-20" range and the bows were smaller but closer to 2 pounds I'd say. A nice catch. They were using tube jigs tipped with sucker meat while drifting in the vicinity of the dam. They told me that the Conoco in Woodland Park now has some sucker meat.

I had forgotten how pretty it is at Rampart. Hopefully I'll get back there again this year.

_Colorado

D

·
0 Posts
Two friends, one of them a fellow board user (mauser) were up there about a week ago and did well on the lakers. They were using some walleye cranks I got one of them hooked on, Salmos. They said the lakers were hammering the cranks as they trolled. They also got some on walleye worm harnesses. I suspect the bigger fish will be deeper but until the tournament season is over, I wont be trying out Rampart.

D

·
0 Posts
Clarification - Until the walleye and bass tournaments are over, I wont be spending time on Rampart.

M

·
0 Posts
I'll Pipe in on this one. We hammered the the lakers at rampart. those salmos are the only lure I have come across that are worth the $7 bucks a piece you pay for them. Though they did not work worth a crap at taylor this weekend -- but the walleye harnesses did alright and we landed several lakers with earth worms. dkooser -- ask chris about the pike he slammed at taylor. I'll send you a pic -- caught on a bullhead salmo -- I believe.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Guys-This has to be one of the most scenic lakes in CO. At this late date I doubt they have any camping sites left to reserve for Memorial weekend but I fished up here quite a bit last year and I noticed the lake wasn't all that crowded even on the weekends. Now that you're able to use the boatramp again I'm sure that will change but this lake is big enough that you can still get away from the crowds.

One more thing-below the dam there is a small 20 ac. lake called Nichols reservoir-just a short 1/2 mile hike down and its good fishing for cutts and such-especially right at the inlet. Ed

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Lurp-You used to be able to use gas or electric but maybe its changed with the security regs? I'm guessing it hasn't but don't know. Nobody had an outboard on the lake last year that I saw cause you had to carry your boat down to the lake so it was all float tubes or elec. motors on small boats. Ed

L

·
0 Posts
thanks ed ill check out the regulations by calling down there and let youall know what i find out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts