Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Go Deep man go Deep......
Fished Rampart on Sunday with a buddy. Caught about 30 fish. ~20 bows, 1 brown, 10-15 lakers. All caught on Lumbricus terrestris  (aka garden hackle)
bows and brownie were 20 - 60 feet down. Lakers were 90 feet +.
ran standard trolling gear and down riggers.
Bows and brownie were 14 inches +/- 2 inches. OK mostly minus. lakers were mostly clones at 17 inches plus a few in the 19" range. Bows were healthy lakers looked a little skinny but other wise in great shape.
did not see anyone else catch any fish.
once again I am amazed at how deep this lake is. I marked 202' on the fish finder.

Sautéed the brown in a little butter, minced garlic and onions and served with a nice glass of merlot.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
They close Rampart way too early in the fall-even a whiff of snow and the road gets chained shut. Sometimes I hike down and fish the inlet from the parking lot in the winter. Its usually real good. Wish they would keep this place open year round.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Where is this lake located and can it be fished from a boat? If so any boat restrictions?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
~7 miles from woodland park on rampart range road. Yes you can fish from a boat (wakeless only)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
kirbydog said:
They close Rampart way too early in the fall-even a whiff of snow and the road gets chained shut. Sometimes I hike down and fish the inlet from the parking lot in the winter. Its usually real good. Wish they would keep this place open year round.
It a nice hike to do as soon as ice off too, the lakers come shallow then.

Pete said:
Where is this lake located and can it be fished from a boat? If so any boat restrictions?
You can also take Rampart Range Road in Garden of the Gods and get there... but if you are towing a boat you better go threw Woodland Park.

·
Banned
487 Posts
kirbydog said:
They close Rampart way too early in the fall-even a whiff of snow and the road gets chained shut.  Sometimes I hike down and fish the inlet from the parking lot in the winter.  Its usually real good. Wish they would keep this place open year round. 
I wish they would too. A colorado springs resident needs to get a petition for a ballot measure going so ice fishing will be allowed along with year round access. Those people running the Colorado Springs utilities need to be shown the door.

·
Registered
16,650 Posts
If you like Rampart you will like Cheesman.(If it ever re-opens).They have the same look and layout and same type of fish.Except lots of NICE smallies and way bigger trout.Also it stays open till dec.31st.Only a fraction of the people,also no boats or wading or anything.

·
Registered
988 Posts
mauser said:
Sautéed the brown in a little butter, minced garlic and onions and served with a nice glass of merlot.
Sounds to good. Did you have him on the lake? That's my kind of fishing.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fisher32 said:
mauser said:
Sounds to good. Did you have him on the lake? That's my kind of fishing.
Not this time -- brought him home and cooked em

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bitafurnfeather said:
mauser said:
Glad to see that Sideways hasn't contaminated the CF boards.
Ok I'll bite -- what or who is sideways?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
yeah me to who or what is sideways?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts