Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys headed out there tomorrow, just wondering if anyone has fished it lately from boat, gonna slow troll for lake trout, n Gonna throw tube jigs with sucker meat

·
Registered
356 Posts
My neighbor was up there the other day but fishing from shore; nothing but smallies. However I can't vouch for my neighbors skills

·
Registered
1 Posts
My buddy and I were up there yesterday (Saturday) on the water in my canoe with a trolling motor from 6am until 7pm... I caught 2 decent lakers (18 inches and 16 inches) then a ton of small rainbow trout and I kept a 15 inch rainbow. They all hit on a large silver spoon? And it was in random parts of the lake. Coves, way out in the middle of the lake, close to shore? And they didn't seem to mind the 70° weather because the water was like ice still hit on a large silver spoon? And it was in random parts of the lake. Coves, way out in the middle of the lake, close to shore? And they didn't seem to mind the 70° weather because the water was still freezing cold. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Don't think there are any smallies in Rampart. With bucket biologists you can never tell. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went up there today, and yeah sporadic and no real consistency, I caught 6, my buddy got 4, most were noticeably stockers 8-11 inches, 2 lakers about 16 and 18 inches... Don't have a downrigger yet so couldn't hit the bigger guys, and two "rampart regulars" 14-16 inch rainbows lol... Not to bad of a day, until the pull cord broke on the motor...moot pulled in by another boater, very thankful! Tight lines and good luck!

·
Registered
740 Posts
^^ Good thing that was cleared up, even rumor of something like that at Rampart and the CPW may close or kill everything in there :p:p

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
there are 2 places near the boat ramp where you can find shallow flats where you can catch lakers in early morning and late afternoon, both can be fished from shore if you use a large white tube jig with a chunk of sucker meat. from a boat find the drop off and fish the flat where it breaks. cast let it hit bottom and sit for 1-2 minutes then pull your bait about 3-4 feet then do it all over again. we have caught lakers this way up to 18 lbs. if you keep an 18-19 inch fish ok but please release the 20 to 25 inch fish. there are more fish in the 30 inch class in there than you would think as they are very hard to catch if you don't know where they hide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are 2 places near the boat ramp where you can find shallow flats where you can catch lakers in early morning and late afternoon, both can be fished from shore if you use a large white tube jig with a chunk of sucker meat. from a boat find the drop off and fish the flat where it breaks. cast let it hit bottom and sit for 1-2 minutes then pull your bait about 3-4 feet then do it all over again. we have caught lakers this way up to 18 lbs. if you keep an 18-19 inch fish ok but please release the 20 to 25 inch fish. there are more fish in the 30 inch class in there than you would think as they are very hard to catch if you don't know where they hide.
Thanks, and yeah that's what I normally do for the lake trout, and I know a decent spot close to the ramp as well that I used to get them all the time from a float tube, and we only keep what we are gonna eat, and not gonna eat a trophy lol

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wish they would make power bait illegal in lakes with large trout. But we all know that's not going to happen.
a simple slot size is asking for a lot... bait free laker lake is dreaming imo... altough you can sign me up for that wet dream

1 - 15 of 15 Posts