Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been addicted to fishing for 9 years now. My first year was spent bait dunking from shore. The next 3 I covered much of the state with a 10' Pelican Rhino/36lb thrust Minn Kota, which I upgraded with a 4hp Yamaha for that boat's 4th & final year. In February of 2007 I bought a brand new Lund thru ebay. For it I had to drive all the way to Alabama & back. A small dealer got a steal at an Alabama auction & he made me a deal I couldn't pass up ($5,500 to $6,000 less than any other new one just like it). The original dealer in the Great Lakes area went against Lund's policy by sending their boats to the auction to make room for the 2007 fleet. I called the original dealer on the phone & he admitted to signing a document which sent his boats to a no reserve auction in Alabama of all places (great for bass boats, but not deep V walleye boats). Lund & the auction also verified the story from their perspective, which gave me confidence in this amazing deal. This will be my fifth season with my Lund. My maiden voyage on the 10' Pelican got me into a few Chatfield walleye- what a time my buddy & I had! Before that I was shore fishing with worms- yea, even powerbait! Many trips were enjoyed from the little Pelican. I fearlessly went to Big Blue two years in a row. I suppose that's when God had mercy on me, blessing me with a bigger & much safer boat. Every year I've improved catching more fish or bigger fish. This year I'd like to keep a private log of my fishing adventures to compile stats and other significant notes. I wish had logs to review the last 9 years- better late than never. Let me know if you know of any good websites to keep track of this for free. I will share one goal for 2011 (a lofty one), which is to catch a bigger laker than anyone on the forum. Let's hear from you guys, whether it be random musings such as this, or however you'd like to share. How did you get hooked on fishing & just how hooked are you?

--- I’m more addicted to Jesus. If you ever have a prayer request or want God in your life, let me know. I’d love to listen & share The Word. A little Starbucks with Jesus & I can’t hurt. ---
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,547 Posts
Well, I am an atheist, but I got hooked on fishing because I was a nature boy, the sort of kid that America once had a surplus of. I was a student of nature, and found myself infatuated with biological organisms of all stripes. The seemingly infinite complexity of physical forms was a source of limitless fascination! One type of creature really captivated my interest though, because it lived in a world that was totally alien... I spent a lot of time in contemplation of the underwater world. Jacques Cousteau was my hero, not a sports figure or pop star. The amazing adaptations of aquatic species were the jumping off point for me.

I carry with me to this day the same sense of wonder and awe every time I hold a living fish in my hand. I have become somewhat more sophisticated in my methods than I was when I captured minnows in a seine, or when my tackle selection consisted of a piece of limber fresh-cut bamboo, a section of string, and a single gold aberdeen, but the driving force is not much changed... and it must be said that fishing is a great stress reliever!

Cheers!
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
The first fish I caught was an MRT out of an irrigation ditch under Pahlow Ln. west of Laramie circa 1980 at age 7. From then on each summer we'd go to Pelican Lake MN and catch whatever would eat our worms under the boat, which was anything and everything. I once tried an "Earie Dearie" for walleye "as seen on TV" and caught 2 walleyes. I thought I was the man. I once caught a small perch and, just for the heck of it, I put it on the gnarliest lure I had (the kind that you have but rarely if ever use.) I threw it out and something, I'll never know what, crushed it and let it go. I reeled in my mangled perch. From then on I was amazed at the wonders under the water, and not knowing what could be eye-balling your bait.

I'm proud to say that 2 of my 3 kids have caught fish at a younger age than I did, by far. The 3rd will as well but he can't even walk yet.

Nowdays I love to take my canoe as many places as I can, within a reasonable distance from Colorado Springs. That usually means S Park, Pikes Peak, Brush, and Pueblo. I never do spectacular, but I keep trying.

Oh ya, I love to ice fish too, love seeing any and all fish come by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
9 1/2 years ago it was a cocaine addict who got me hooked- on fishing that is! He was new to the church where I was one of the ministers. He was so passionate about fishing that he got me out to The Q a couple of times before our Bible study. I recall that being the start of my addiction & through our Bible study and other good influences at church he was set free of cocaine, never to return to it. I know there's many on here who don't agree with Christianity. My goal is not to make enemies or try to get my fellow fisherman to despise me. Regardless of your persuasion, it's a neat story when you consider he got me hooked on fishing & I helped him get free of cocaine (all of the glory to God). We had a blast catching MRTs out of The Q. He told me stories of the largies & the 17 3/4" size fatty he caught, but no such luck while I was there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
started fishin with my pops at such an early age i dont even remember my first time.....but one of the first great memories i have of fishing as a kid was down in florida...we were fishing an inlet from the bay, catching mangrove snapper one after the other, all day!! that was probably when i was 6 or 7....from then on, its been my favorite past time and hobby....then i started fly fishing on the tailwaters of Arkansas when i was 15...i was definitely hooked on the fly rod after that...11 years later, nothing has changed....gotta go, fish on!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,877 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
I will share one goal for 2011 (a lofty one), which is to catch a bigger laker than anyone on the forum.
Yep. A lofty goal. Good luck with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,193 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
My old man... Been fishin' with him since I was a kid. Still do whenever I get the chance.
x2, and my Dad picked up fishing from his Dad. Last Saturday I got to fish with my Dad and my oldest son. My boys are 3 and 1, both were out fishing, boating, and floating before they were 6 months old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I fished quite a bit with my dad untill i hit my teens, then had better things to do (or so i thought). Around 22-23 (8-9 years ago) one of my friends got into fishing and got me back into it, within a year we had a ton of us going up every weekend to 11 mile and that lasted 2-3 years. Eventually most of us (them, not me) traded in the rods for the ball and chains, and kids, and left me with this bad fishing addiction and a bunch of fishing buddies who only come out 2-3 times a year at best. At first i'd thought that i was done fishing when most of my friends stopped, but, it was actually quite the opposite, I started enjoying the time alone or with my dog and started catching more and better fish (probably because i was paying more attention to what i was doing and less attention to the beer). Every year i seem to find myself fishing more and more and doing better and better and that continues to be my goal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
FishLip said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
My old man... Been fishin' with him since I was a kid. Still do whenever I get the chance.
x2, and my Dad picked up fishing from his Dad. Last Saturday I got to fish with my Dad and my oldest son. My boys are 3 and 1, both were out fishing, boating, and floating before they were 6 months old.
Yep. One of the best days I can remember, fishin' with my dad and my son...good times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
I caught my first fish when I was about 4 at Harvey County West Lake in Kansas, where my parents took us camping many weekends every summer. It was a bluegill on a worm & bobber. The whole course of my life was mapped out before me when I caught that fish. I spent many hours on camping trips there and at Harvey County East Lake, Marion County Lake, and others catching hundreds of bluegill and green sunfish on a worm and bobber.
We lived five miles outside of town. In the eastern half of Kansas, there are farm ponds everywhere. As I got a little older and more independent, I would ride my bike to every farm pond within a few-mile radius of our house and fish them. Permission was pretty easy to come by for a 10-year-old kid on a bike. I got into tying flies and would tie white streamers out of the feathers on my Springer Spaniel's legs (the Ace Hair Special - his name was Ace). After a few years of doing this, it became obvious that one year a certain pond would be fantastic, but would eventually crash, while another pond would hit a peak. You could see this boom-and-bust cycle happening with all the farm ponds around. That planted the seed of the idea of population dynamics in my head and it was fascinating to me.
Then, one summer while on vacation in Colorado I managed to catch an 8-inch brookie out of a mountain stream where I really didn't expect that fish could live at all. It was like no other fish I'd ever handled before, so cold and energetic, and with those colored spots and scales so small that you could barely see them. It was like I was holding a little living piece of that stream itself in my hands. It was all over for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
One thing that has been bothering me is that I don't spend enough time taking my boys fishing. They're 5 and 7, and I know they've spent less time fishing than I had by the time I was that age. It's just that when I spend all day every day dealing with and thinking about fish, when the weekend rolls around it's not necessarily the first thing on my list to do. So I made a New Year's resolution this year that I would take them fishing on at least one occasion each month. I'm 1 for 1 so far, although we got skunked at Willow Creek on Sunday! We were too late and missed the morning bite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,674 Posts
Never really fished as a kid. Did a few times and always had a good time.

Grew up boating with friends, camping, hiking etc.

Cant remember what possessed me to buy a spinning setup in late '06. Dunked bait for about a month, discovered Kastys and it was all over.
Got my friend hooked on it.
Started flailing two years ago come March.

Now its all I think about, spend most of my money on and has already lead me to ruin a few good relationships.

Goals for 2011 include a PB brown, more river discipline and long rod on the belly boat.

Im 26 and my only clone is that idiot whos casting poorly right under me when Im standing in the water. Cant seem to shake him
-K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,804 Posts
Ewert said:
I caught my first fish when I was about 4 at Harvey County West Lake in Kansas, where my parents took us camping many weekends every summer. It was a bluegill on a worm & bobber. The whole course of my life was mapped out before me when I caught that fish. I spent many hours on camping trips there and at Harvey County East Lake, Marion County Lake, and others catching hundreds of bluegill and green sunfish on a worm and bobber.
We lived five miles outside of town. In the eastern half of Kansas, there are farm ponds everywhere. As I got a little older and more independent, I would ride my bike to every farm pond within a few-mile radius of our house and fish them. Permission was pretty easy to come by for a 10-year-old kid on a bike. I got into tying flies and would tie white streamers out of the feathers on my Springer Spaniel's legs (the Ace Hair Special - his name was Ace). After a few years of doing this, it became obvious that one year a certain pond would be fantastic, but would eventually crash, while another pond would hit a peak. You could see this boom-and-bust cycle happening with all the farm ponds around. That planted the seed of the idea of population dynamics in my head and it was fascinating to me.
Then, one summer while on vacation in Colorado I managed to catch an 8-inch brookie out of a mountain stream where I really didn't expect that fish could live at all. It was like no other fish I'd ever handled before, so cold and energetic, and with those colored spots and scales so small that you could barely see them. It was like I was holding a little living piece of that stream itself in my hands. It was all over for me.
Man! Talk about painting a picture! Great post!
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top