Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think they were designed for panfish that arent going to straighten them out...and yes I know you can catch fish on them...and have caught many big ones...but the big trout of south park and north park can do a number on the soft bendable hooks...you can buy rat finkie bodies...any body buy smaller rat finkie sized jig hooks and put rat finkie bodies on them?...if so where do you get your bare jigs from?...or am I worrying about nothing?...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I feel your pain. There isn't much around anymore in the way of commercial alternatives, at least I haven't found them anyway. I got some years ago from High Country with good hooks and painted my own heads and still have a few of those varound. The very smallest Cabela's heads are an alternative, but those hooks are only a little better in the "bendable" department. Unfortunately the molds for jigheads that small are really expensive so pouring your own is out, too, at least for me.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Sorry guys but it all boils down to skill and a smooth drag. ;D Me and Trout have caught numerous 6-8lbers in south and north park on finkees and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SLAYERFISH said:
Sorry guys but it all boils down to skill and a smooth drag. ;D Me and Trout have caught numerous 6-8lbers in south and north park on finkees and have never had a problem.
I am more worried about double digit fish...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SLAYERFISH said:
zman said:
I am more worried about double digit fish...
Um-Hmm-
Antero, John, the Delaneys...all have that very real possibility...I dont want it to come down to some cheap bendable wire hook...and dont tell me my line is too heavy or my drag is set wrong...wipers nearing 20 pounds on light wire hooks with 4 pound line and I have never straigtened a hook one bit...on the same reels I use for ice fishing...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And yes my biggest through the ice was a 9 pound south delaney rainbow...no tens yet through the ice but I am a patient man...I prefer to worry about the problem before it happens...now if Tiemco only made size 10 jig hooks...

·
Registered
731 Posts
i think i bent a couple last year getting them out of the fish, but haven't lost any big fish because of it. you have to switch them out a lot though to prevent it. good thing they are cheap.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
zman said:
And yes my biggest through the ice was a 9 pound south delaney rainbow...no tens yet through the ice but I am a patient man...I prefer to worry about the problem before it happens...now if Tiemco only made size 10 jig hooks...
You know I just gotta give ya some **** - It's what I do.

But in reality, if the hook gets bent it means too much pressure was applied to it from the line. And what controls the pressure applied to that line? The angler and the drag. Thats all I'm saying. The hook doesnt just bend by magic. Its the person at the other end which ultimately determines the result.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Slimer said:
They're made strictly for dillon kokes! :D ;D
No, pink swedish nipples are! LOL

Rats are my favorite ice jig but the hooks are uber weak. Have yet to have one get bent straight but plenty have been mangled!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Weak but sweet. I use them so much. I actually lasted all last season with the same 5 or so. I need new ones now though. :D

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i dont like em either, those and all the genz lures have crappy hooks, they catch fish but the hooks do break, if one of those big ol' hard jawed male trout get ahold of em they are done... i do love the gamakatsu lead tube jig hooks tho, strongest and best that i have ever used..

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hm, I'm right there with ya, Mark. Those are un-forged hooks and oh, they do straighten.
It's tough to find jigs with a smaller hook than a 1/16 oz head that aren't the same way.

Stop in next time you're in the store. I'll show you a few I've tied - I'm thinking if I can pull it off with a bead on an up-eye nymph hook and some hot glue or even yarn, I might have something for ya.

We have jig heads all the way down to 1/124 oz at the store. Plain or painted. May have to go caveman on a few to see if I can fix the straightening problem.

It's just plain old hard to find really good jigs that are tied for the kind of fishing we do out here. Everything's so geared towards panfish that you'd think that nobody ever even wanted to catch big trout through the ice - yeah, I know, they have seasons and all in the midwest, but darn it, we catch big fat trout out west here. Darned midwesterners!!! Grrrr.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i do the same thing mentioned in the above post...just get some tiemcos or dai-rikis and strap on a barbell eye and you are golden...no more bending and this will work with very small hooks as well..

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hadn't thought about the barbell eyes thing. Thanks loopknot. Sometimes it's hard to get my brain firing on all cylinders... think I'm just getting old...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I'm going to be pouring some down to 1/16 and 1/32 oz using a 2X strong premium jig hook, perhaps as small as a size 10. I don't know what the price will be yet; that will depend on how much labor is involved and the cost of the mold.

If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll let you know when I'm ready to roll them out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts