Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha, when I first started with flies it was all top water and I got the timing down pretty fast, then I was turned onto the nymph and have been mostly using a top as a strike indicator ever since.  (I still only been fly fishing for less then a year so I dont have a ton of experience) This weekend up on the gunnison they were hitting my dry just as much as my dropper, I found myself not getting the hook ups as much on the dry as I use to.  But I also noticed, before my brain could go "set that hook" it would say "holy cow did you see that" then go to the set the hook thought.  If you work on switching these thoughts around you will do better.
No sooner then I got the timing back, the trout started doing stuff I never had them do to my dry fly, had some browns think they were JAWS and come straight up about 3 inches above the water head first and drop straight back down.  Once again the "Oh my god did you see that" thought pops threw the brain before the set the hook set thought.  I also had a huge brown roll on my fly which was awesome to see, but sucked when I missed the hookup.  
The only way to get it all worked out is to practice practice practice.  I have to get back up to these areas where the big ones lay to work on playing them, as I can usually get them on the line but into the net is another story... Soon I'lll be the fly fisherman you see down on the river with a huge boat big game fish net slung over my shoulder like a sword.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts