Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Strip strike's a good idea. So is getting ready when the drift looks like it's really in the money spot and setting up on strikes as fast as possible. Of course, there is a school of thought that you need to pause a bit before setting the hook. I think any of these work sometimes and not others. It's reassuring to remember you can do everything right and still not hook up.

When I used to fish for westslope cutts (a wonderfully innocent trout) about every summer day I was sure that my hook setting abilities were as good as they were ever going to be. Thing is, some days I'd have lousy hooking ratios and other days the fish seemed to do all the work themselves -- they could even be so aggressive that they'd jump out of the water and take my hopper on re-entry. A lot of it has to do with whatever it is that makes trout more aggressive and focused one day and not the next.

Being alert, having your line hand ready and not too much slack on the water is the right approach. Experimentation and practice counts for a lot in this area too.

If there are a lot of small fish in the waters you fish, and they're often the fish most likely to go after a dry fly, they can really pull down your hook-up ratio.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts