Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Who Cares! No offence but take this Hunting stuff somewhere else. This is a fishing site. Isnt there a coloradohunterman site somewhere?

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jay_In_Parker said:
Who Cares! No offence but take this Hunting stuff somewhere else. This is a fishing site. Isnt there a coloradohunterman site somewhere?

[me=Jay_In_Parker]  [/me]
With a few exceptions a majority of people who like to fish also enjoy hunting. No offense I just thought I would get the word out to people who care. I thought that was what, off topic ,was for on most message boards.
Hmmm  http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=1592.0  Hypocrite? ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had written a pretty extensive research paper a few years ago that involved cdow. My research shed alot of light on my feelings twards to dow. The biggest concern I have found is that our DOW is funded only by liscense sales and private donation(lobbying). Most other states in the union allocate funds for there dnrs dow etc. With this in mind, the dow is run like a business, not a service entity. If the business does not profit, the business goes away. So of course the dow is going to follow the money! I personally dislike the dow- strictly from experiences with them in the field. But I really think that the true solution to the average resident hunter/fisher is to figure a way to make the dow a tax based organization. Just my two sense. And btw, this is off topic- I think its great to discuss common interests other than fishing- with people who love to fish!! ie. car parts?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hellfish, I figured that since the DOW is only funded through license and donations it has played a big part on the way they behave. Many people dont realize that the DOW is only funded this way. I wonder if it is not better that way though. Think about it. If taxpayer money became involved they would then have a much bigger voice in policies and considering fewer people are getting involved in hunting or fishing they may have the influence to really mess things up.

·
Registered
176 Posts
your are correct, but- my research was on the elimination of the spring bear hunt, this was eliminated strictly on the basis of public coersion(money) not hard facts. If the dow were to be controlled by our tax dollars, every one would have a voice, not just $. I want a dow that is working for the betterment of our state, not a paycheck, and if they are tax based, they would be better able to move in that direction.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Landowner rights apply not only to hunting, but they also apply to fishing. I believe the landowner has a right to control access to land. Giving additional big game tags to landowns for personal profit is one way the DOW manages things. How does this affect fishing. How would you like it if trophy fishing lakes and streams began to get less and less access because they were giving access to people able to pay a premium price.

It applies to us all. Hunters and Fishers.

Dan

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
OURAY said:
With a few exceptions a majority of people who like to fish also enjoy hunting.
Ok maybe my comment was out of line but if like you say "majority of people who like to fish also enjoy hunting." Why dont all you hunters start your own site? Or ask Ken to start a hunting section of the forum? Lets see what he has to say. "people who like to fish also enjoy hunting" With that said its NOT off-topic. So it is in the wrong place.  This is not a personal attack on you or anyone else who likes to hunt. Its just this is a fishing site and the majority of this Off-Topic section is you guys/gals talking about hunting.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker]   [/me]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
im glad to hear whats going on with all the new stuff be it fishing or hunting just so you know im not that big into hunting but i could if i wanted

and this is the off topic section of the fishing site so i think this is a good place for the member to talk about other thing like hunting , cars, women, ;D all the stuff that doesnt have to do with fishing

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jay_In_Parker said:
OURAY said:
With a few exceptions a majority of people who like to fish also enjoy hunting.
Ok maybe my comment was out of line but if like you say "majority of people who like to fish also enjoy hunting." Why dont all you hunters start your own site? Or ask Ken to start a hunting section of the forum? Lets see what he has to say. "people who like to fish also enjoy hunting" With that said its NOT off-topic. So it is in the wrong place.  This is not a personal attack on you or anyone else who likes to hunt. Its just this is a fishing site and the majority of this Off-Topic section is you guys/gals talking about hunting.

IMO

What would you like us to talk about ???

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am suprised at you jay, I usually enjoy reading your posts. If the topic is something your not interested in, why did you even look? If I remember right the moderators put the off topic in for everyone to discuss whatever they want. We keep it clean and respectful, so whats the problem?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ask Ken to put up a hunting section. Considering the majority of the off-topic section is about hunting(Well maybe not all but most)??

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
hellfish said:
I am suprised at you jay.
Dont be. Never be surprised at anything I say or do. Besides, if you knew me the only thing that would surprise you is that I waited this long to say something about this.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
you know what. While I disagree w/ hunting all together and think it has NO place on this site it is not my place to say weather it should be talked about here or anywhere else!!!

Sorry to anyone I may have offended.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
594 Posts
Besides, if you knew me the only thing that would surprise you is that I waited this long to say something about this.

IMO

Now that does surprise me!

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I grew up fishing and have always associated fishing with hunting. When I'm hunting, I still think of fishing and when I'm fishing, I still think of hunting. I've yet done both at the same time, but will do so soon. Some duck hunters will go out to Northpark, have a blast decoying birds in the morning and then break out fly rods by noon to start the rod bending on the same property well into the evening. There are a few of those that are strictly one or the other, but in case there are those who arent familiar with the outdoor life itself, outdoorsmen, in general, love to do both.

I've been in elk camps during the 1st rifle season where someone in camp will go down to the creek with blaze orange on and catch a few trout for lunch. I've seen archery hunters out in Gunnison who will sometimes back off on the elk and flyfish on the river while still in full camo! It's two different varieties of game, but in almost the same court, mentally. Ethics are very closely related (picking up after yourself, sometimes, sadly, picking up after others, making good choices, decisions, keeping top-notch responsibility because you owe it to mothernature, respecting your game, respecting others in the field etc....)

I go fishing, of course to catch fish and I go hunting, of course to have a great hunt. Most importantly, I go to be out there where I'm in touch with the spiritual feeling that I long for. The pursuit of game in the wild is something beautiful if done correctly, whether its fishing or hunting. For me, it purifies my soul to be out there and one with nature. Quite cliche, but I guess that's just my only way to explain it. I think most would agree that if one were to personify fishing and hunting, the two sports would be best friends.

I live for the outdoors and just my opinion, not Ken's, ZMAN's, Dan's or Rottals... I'll be willing to talk about both fishing and/or hunting any day. Here on Coloradofisherman.com, I'll keep my hunting talk or "anything other than fishing" talk in the offtopic category. Besides, there's all kinds of "offtopic" errr... Topics.

Perspective of an outdoorsman (fisherman/hunter/happy camper)  :)
1eyeReD

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1eyeReD,

Very nicely said. I feel the same. I can't waite to get out on those crisp fall mornings. I can smell the damp leaves already! It really makes a person feel alive!  :)

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Back to the subject. I think there should be more folks going out to voice their opinion. Even my lazy self should be going out to do so.

Article provides good links where you can voice your opinion until Aug. 5th
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/recreation_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_85_3953941,00.html
As Dan said, this can affect fishermen as well. Same with a whole lot of other controversial topics, we need to get up and get out to be heard. A good example would be the targetting of trophy lake trout on some waters. I think if we had more heads, the DOW would hear us more clearly and maybe consider. This info is good. Thanks, OURAY.

1eyeReD

1 - 20 of 40 Posts