Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came upon these flies luckily and thought they are very cool and took some pics to see what you all think. I'll never cast them, I think they'll go in a glass case.

What do you guys think of these?

·
Registered
466 Posts
They looked very nice but I think you should put them in water to find out if they catch more fish than your regular stone patterns.
I've just came back from a fly fishing show in NJ and there are tiers specialize in realistic flies that I could not tell if they are real bug or not until I saw the hook point. The only catch is that they cost from 40 to 4-digit a piece. If I have one, I won't put them in water for sure.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah these aren't quite that nice I don't think. I got them in a fly tying lot I picked up, don't look like any flies I've seen, the legs are the cool looking part, and some of the heads too.

After seeing some of these newer realistic flies it's really got me motivated to try some new stuff.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah see, these aren't quite "that" realistic, LoL! I've seen those before and yeah they are freaking impressive looking.

I do wonder if they would catch more fish or not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't know but some of those flies have over 20-30 hours involved in them. Not sure I would even want to try and figure out if they did work.

I am sure some of those bugs could catch a frog though. ;D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Those are some great looking flies and I think you have the right idea about putting them in glass and not fishing with them. I say that because it appears the materials used to make the fly more realistic don't have much natural movement in the water. Not to say you won't catch anything with them, but I personally feel the more movement the fly has the better the chances of catching fish. Great flies though!!

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow FFG, some of those look exactly like the ones pictured. Cool. Not too expensive though. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
FishnPhil said:
Wow FFG, some of those look exactly like the ones pictured. Cool. Not too expensive though. Might be worth a try.
I have seen those on ebay for the last 3 years, I have come close a few times to ordering some but I just can't seem to pull the trigger.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts