Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn nice perch there! Did you get a weight on any of them? Look to be over a pound for sure and delicious.
I often think that the #2- 9oz state record perch is not legit. I don't think that perch in this state get much bigger than the ones you caught. Very nicely done! I've struggled with my perch fishing this year so far.

·
Registered
471 Posts
By the way, does anyone have a Pict of the state record perch? I'd like to see that.

Once again, damn nice perch you got there!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Perch are fatter than eyes! Good eats there. :thumb:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Nice fish! We've been killing perch and walleye out there. It's been a lot of fun. We got a 14" perch last Sunday . I love that lake. We caught a 26" walleye yesterday that's still swimming.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Beast perch! Well done

·
Registered
543 Posts
Nice fish man. I caught a 2lbs6ounce perch two years ago so I think the record is legit.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Well done, Mike! Man, what a good year for perch out there. Looking like the eyes are too dumb to know to eat the craws....although, I've not seen the craws like they once were either....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Been a good year out there this year. Lots of leeches in the water. Boat-loads of 15-17.99" walleye, some larger ones as well. Lots of 9-11 inch perch landed as well, which is always fun (and really good eating). Found it odd that we didn't get any perch under 9", which seems at odds with a lifetime of catching the little monsters. Throw in some healthy trout and a few huge smallies, and it's been a good spring on the lake.

Interesting thing about the crayfish ... a bit earlier in the year, we were getting smallies mixed in with the perch, walleye, and trout. To a T, every one of those big smallies were puking up crayfish parts on the way to the boat. Now folks are saying its a bad year for crayfish out there. I wonder if crayfish are just not preferred to leeches ... maybe it's not the crayfish population that's slumping as much as the leech population is booming. I'd think they are a lot easier to catch/digest than crayfish. Maybe supplement that with whatever else is in the area (bugs, minnows, etc), and there's no impetus to head to the crayfish grounds. Just a thought.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Scuba divers said the bottom was covered with crawfish. Caught large perch and undersized walleyes in the same area, all spitting up leeches.

Could it be some invasive species screwing things up?

At any rate, I sure hope they keep the water level up. I think that has something to do with all the big perch this season.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts