Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn nice perch there! Did you get a weight on any of them? Look to be over a pound for sure and delicious.
I often think that the #2- 9oz state record perch is not legit. I don't think that perch in this state get much bigger than the ones you caught. Very nicely done! I've struggled with my perch fishing this year so far.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Been a good year out there this year. Lots of leeches in the water. Boat-loads of 15-17.99" walleye, some larger ones as well. Lots of 9-11 inch perch landed as well, which is always fun (and really good eating). Found it odd that we didn't get any perch under 9", which seems at odds with a lifetime of catching the little monsters. Throw in some healthy trout and a few huge smallies, and it's been a good spring on the lake.

Interesting thing about the crayfish ... a bit earlier in the year, we were getting smallies mixed in with the perch, walleye, and trout. To a T, every one of those big smallies were puking up crayfish parts on the way to the boat. Now folks are saying its a bad year for crayfish out there. I wonder if crayfish are just not preferred to leeches ... maybe it's not the crayfish population that's slumping as much as the leech population is booming. I'd think they are a lot easier to catch/digest than crayfish. Maybe supplement that with whatever else is in the area (bugs, minnows, etc), and there's no impetus to head to the crayfish grounds. Just a thought.

Best regards,
Dogwood

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scuba divers said the bottom was covered with crawfish. Caught large perch and undersized walleyes in the same area, all spitting up leeches.

Could it be some invasive species screwing things up?

At any rate, I sure hope they keep the water level up. I think that has something to do with all the big perch this season.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.