Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some new stuff I've been playing with, all three are Hydra swimbait sticks.

And the grip I built for me 11'9" SAGE Method 6wt Switch. I have about 6 hours into this grip, might be the most time I've put into a grip before.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top pic there is from top to bottom:

Red and black composite carbon fiber(black fibers)/fiberglass(red fibers) over a foam core.

Blue and black composite carbon fibers, same as above.... but it's a 3 piece grip and it's not on the rod yet. The pieces in front and back of it are also foam core, but they have surf shrink grip over the top.

The white foam core is just shaped, and has not been sealed yet, it will have the black and red rubber shrink grip put over it. The foam cores are lighter than cork or EVA foam so the rod will stay light.

The fly grip is all cork. from the top down as an example....

.25" rubberized cork
.25" natural cork
.25" rubberized cork
.5" natural cork
.125" rubberized cork
.125" natural cork
.125" rubberized cork
1" copano burl cork (it's basically partical board cork rings, they have no voids in them)
.125" burnt cork
.125" natural cork
.125" burnt cork
.5" natural cork
.125" burnt cork
1" copano burl cork
.125" burnt cork
.125" natural cork
1.5" dark mix burl cork
etc....

glued up it looks like this before turning it down

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I thought about stacked leather...but it would be pretty heavy. Not so much I guess once bored out. I think the wrap would hold up finished with bees wax instead of poly..really like the look..like a stacked leather knife handle. But you're the artist here ...I'm sure if you ever decide to play around with it..you'd do a good job.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Great stuff KK, ill stick with my southbend rods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts