Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I'm looking into playing around with some of the Rapalas and need some recommendations for which ones would work well for fishing for trout from shore in a lake/res. as well as a boat.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dynamic Lures HD trout! Way more effective than any rapala I have used for trout. If you need to get them deep, use a sinker rig or a bottom bouncer.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Countdown rapalas work fine for trout, just remember that the size of the lure can affect the size of your catch. sizes 3,5 and 7 are good for most places

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with 5-7cm floating rapalas in brookie colors on both running water (cast upstream and bring it down) and lakes. A countdown got me a laker out of Jefferson lake.

JW

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The #5 countdowns work best in shallower stretches, the #7s best in mid depths, and the #9s in the deeper holes. Rainbow trout, brown trout, fire minnow, perch, and olive muddler are my favorite colors. Catch lots of browns and rainbows not much bigger than the lure all the way up to 24" plus.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
ScottN said:
Just like the title says, I'm looking into playing around with some of the Rapalas and need some recommendations for which ones would work well for fishing for trout from shore in a lake/res. as well as a boat.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Trout said:
What would you guys recommend for lakes only not reservoirs
Man, that is a tricky one. I would have to go with the sub-walk. I don't know why that lure never took off, I caught a pig the very first time I casted one and it has consistently produced for me

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use the countdowns alot. Rainbow trout and brown trout colors work great. They have so many differnt kinds and colors. My best advice would try them all. I like to use a lead liter for strength. with 6-8 pound test. They have cd 01 that works good with 4lb test too. Go to the Rapala website and you can check out all the lures they have. I been using Rapalas for over 20 years and its stiil one of my favorites. Anyone need a sales rep for Rapala??? HAHA! Good luck and have fun fishing!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
undergroundfisherman said:
I use the countdowns alot. Rainbow trout and brown trout colors work great. They have so many differnt kinds and colors. My best advice would try them all. I like to use a lead liter for strength. with 6-8 pound test. They have cd 01 that works good with 4lb test too. Go to the Rapala website and you can check out all the lures they have. I been using Rapalas for over 20 years and its stiil one of my favorites. Anyone need a sales rep for Rapala??? HAHA! Good luck and have fun fishing!!!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
As Neal says he hates floating plugs after dark because he cant keep the rainbows off when he is walleye fishing. I had a friend at Spinney that used to use the FL18s yes 18 that were doctored to look more like rainbows with a sharpie, he would cast them out and burn them back and catch huge fish. He used heavier line like 8 pound test since some of the collisions were epic. I also like Xrap 12's for trout they cast further and you can cover more water and get the best of both worlds. I would use a floater early and late in the day when they are up shallow or subsurface. Rapala has been my lure of choice for almost 35 years. And as Bernies wife says...Go Big Or Go Home...

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm with Zman - bigger is better right now. I'll start with a #13 floater on a fast retrieve and go from there. A Pointer 100 or X-Rap 10 or 12 is good too (a little deeper), and a 1/2oz Rat-L-Trap is a no brainer for lots of trout in lakes, especially in breezy conditions. CL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts