Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace my old handheld GPS. I had my eye on a Lowrance H20 but found out over the weekend they are discontinued. Same goes for the Garmin Colorado.

Anyone have a GPS recommendation that you can download (or has preloaded) reasonable maps in Colorado and that you can store waypoints on so you can consistently find the same spots on the ice?

I'm considering a Garmin 60CSX but would like to hear from other folks what they're using.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Ed-

You can still find the IFinder H2O on eBay frequently. There are several up for auction now. The iFinder Hunt is basically the same and there are a couple of those up now, too.

Don

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about that but I want something that will have customer service support and application updates if necessary over the next 5 or so years.

I see that the Endura series replaced the H20.

Looks like Navionics Hot Maps don't work on the Garmin, and the Lowrance Endura Sierra consistently gets bad reviews (on Cabelas & Amazon websites).

Maybe I'll get either the Out&Back or the Safari instead?

·
Registered
109 Posts
That Guy said:
I was thinking about that but I want something that will have customer service support and application updates if necessary over the next 5 or so years.
Good idea. I have used a Lowrance expedition for several years now, and while it's been a good unit , it sometimes has problems locking on to satellites. I tried recently to get it repaired, and Lowrance won't touch it. They want to sell you a new model for $300. Do a google search on Lowrance customer service, they suck!

That Guy said:
Looks like Navionics Hot Maps don't work on the Garmin, and the Lowrance Endura Sierra consistently gets bad reviews (on Cabelas & Amazon websites).
Another option if you want to use Navionics lake maps is the DeLorme pn 30, 40 or 60. I've been using a pn30 for the last year, and have been happy with it. The only thing I don't like is the smaller screen size and the battery life.
A tip if you end up looking for Navionics maps- buy the hotmaps handheld chip. $30 vs. $100.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Keep buying those maps that arent even close...I love it...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I highly recommend the Garmin CSx, I use mine for field work all the time. It has worked in Colombian Cloud forests, narrow mountain canyons, old growth forests, and other difficult areas. It gets the best signal reception of any GPS I have used. I was with a group of folks doing field work in a jungle area, this was the only GPS (out of the other 5 models) that would work, the only one that would could lock in satellites under the tree cover. I can turn it on in my living room (20 feet from any window) and still get enough satellites to make it work.

You can get topo maps from Garmin and from other sources (I have a disk that shows topo and land ownership, Game Mngt. Unit boundaries for Colorado).

Prices have gone down, I think Garmin has a new model to replace the CSx.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ended up going with a Delorme PN60 based on a suggestion from a friend that he was looking at the PN40. I looked at the PN40 and liked the features, but didn't like the battery life. All I have to say is WOW. One of the selling points is it already comes with topo maps of all of North America and it comes with free aerial photography downloads I can overlay on the maps(similar to Google Earth). It's also compatible with Navionics maps (no Z - I haven't bought them and based on what I see, I'm not sure I need them).

It even has "best fishing and hunting times" incorporated into the system, tide tables, and sun/moon location. Lots of small cool features like that.

If anyone is looking, check out the Delorme PN60. It's awesome.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Altidude said:
How long is the battery life on the pn60?
Depends on the batteries you use.

With the Litium Ion rechargeable battery pack => 13 hours
With 2 Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries (included with the unit) => 29 hours
With 2 standard AA batteries => 20 hours

Here's a link to the spec sheet. I bought the PN-60 not the 60w (didn't have a need for the wireless)

http://www.delorme.com/media/Product_Information/DeLorme_PN60w_SPOT_0810.pdf

1 - 13 of 13 Posts