Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all - I'm heading out for my first day of the year this weekend, and was wondering if you had any recommendations for streams where the trout are biting near the Front Range (I'm in Boulder). I've done Boulder Creek, but am wondering if there are any other favorite spots (within an hour or so of Boulder). Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey y'all - I'm heading out for my first day of the year this weekend, and was wondering if you had any recommendations for streams where the trout are biting near the Front Range (I'm in Boulder). I've done Boulder Creek, but am wondering if there are any other favorite spots (within an hour or so of Boulder). Thanks!
The Big Thompson has been fishing well, especially since the flows were raised. The dry fly fishing has been good for BWO's and midges. You could also try South Boulder Creek below Gross Reservoir. Walker Ranch is a good access point. Clear Creek is another good spot.

I may be heading up to the Big Thompson tomorrow so I could give a more detailed report then.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Usually when someones first post is a thread asking for others favorite spots, it doesn't get many replies.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I deleted the location that some guys thought shouldn't be mentioned on a public forum.

While I'm not going to name it again, just know that it's been written about in books, there are fishing reports on it, plenty of bloggers and other people have written about it, and there have been whole threads dedicated to it on this forum. Plus, it already receives a decent amount of fishing pressure.

It's not a secret spot by any stretch of the imagination. Talking about it on this forum isn't going to change anything, but if some guys don't think it's OK then I won't talk about it.
I don't even know what water your referring to but thinking its so well known that talking about it on this forum won't have any effect is just naïve. You may not be aware how many lurkers are on this forum, many of them aren't even aware of the good fishing at big waters. The rest of them are waiting on reports from the known bodies of water so they can go fish them. You will be surprised how much more crowded a place will be after a quality report with too much info

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't even know what water your referring to but thinking its so well known that talking about it on this forum won't have any effect is just naïve. You may not be aware how many lurkers are on this forum, many of them aren't even aware of the good fishing at big waters. The rest of them are waiting on reports from the known bodies of water so they can go fish them. You will be surprised how much more crowded a place will be after a quality report with too much info
I've been asked kindly not to mention it so I'll keep quiet. There is info all over the internet about this place. Books, reports, blogs, forum threads. If you want to talk about spot burning, well then this place has already been burnt to a crisp. You can't "hotspot" it.

Anyway, I didn't even give a report I just mentioned it as an option.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I've been asked kindly not to mention it so I'll keep quiet. There is info all over the internet about this place. Books, reports, blogs, forum threads. If you want to talk about spot burning, well then this place has already been burnt to a crisp. You can't "hotspot" it.

If said place was burnt to a crisp I don't think others would give a crap if its mentioned

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Cotter, just curious about your experience with fishing and CO? I imagine you took up fly fishing once you arrived to CO......yes, us natives can tell instantly when we have a tranny (transplant) on our hands.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not trolling or messing with you. I just want to understand where you are coming from and then maybe show you a different perspective ...... one you might not be able to see yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cotter, just curious about your experience with fishing and CO? I imagine you took up fly fishing once you arrived to CO......yes, us natives can tell instantly when we have a tranny (transplant) on our hands.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not trolling or messing with you. I just want to understand where you are coming from and then maybe show you a different perspective ...... one you might not be able to see yet.
I've been fly fishing for 7 years, before I moved here.

I don't know why this is even a debate right now. The place in question is one of the most well known front range creeks, plenty of pressure, along with all the other stuff I already mentioned. It's about as spot-burnt as a small stream can get.

There was no report I gave, no tips or hints, I didn't even tell anyone where to fish it. I just mentioned it as a possibility. Like I said, I have no idea why anyone would be getting flak for this.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
WOW, so much for not getting your panties in a bunch. Carry on. I'm sure you know it all. I can see why all you catch is dinks, Mr. Closed Mind Cotter. There was no debate, I was trying to have an open discussion with you. There is something you can possibly learn......but you want to learn the hard way by "burning" yourself. I was open to discussing with you why us natives protect what little water we can. Keep casting , Captain Dink.

·
Registered
76 Posts
WOW, so much for not getting your panties in a bunch. Carry on. I'm sure you know it all. I can see why all you catch is dinks, Mr. Closed Mind Cotter. There was no debate, I was trying to have an open discussion with you. There is something you can possibly learn......but you want to learn the hard way by "burning" yourself. I was open to discussing with you why us natives protect what little water we can. Keep casting , Captain Dink.
Where was the "panties in a bunch" part?

You asked me a question, and I answered it. The only one with their panties in a bunch right now is you. I'm beginning to think you can't say anything on this forum without someone complaining and resorting to ad hominems. Those are some great "discussion" tactics you've got there by the way.

If you want to have a discussion, maybe cut the BS and tell me what I supposedly need to "learn." I'm not holding my breath on this one.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
There are two ways to learn... from others experience or your own. You clearly chose the latter. Funny, with the given subject, I made the same mistake. It doesn't take much. But carry on... learn on your own.

·
P I K E
10,111 Posts
OK, the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me Fishing Gods!!!

I received some concerns about a small body of water mentioned in this info thread that has been blown up to the point that it may be permanently damaged. It has been mentioned in the past and the same thing happened then. To try and keep the peace here on the forum I contacted Cotter and explained what was going on, I asked him if he would help to keep the peace and remove the body of fragile water from his post explaining he did not have to since he really didn't cross any lines. To be totally fair to Cotter he did agree to remove it! I thank you Cotter for doing that and hope along the way we all learned something about conservation through this. Thank you again for helping a new member with the given info!

Cotter that's very cool of you to share some info to a new guy, but next time just PM the dude.
^^^^ This!!! Thank you Fordo! One of the best ways to give info on these small bodies of water is by a PM. On the other side the person receiving the info has to realize he is being trusted with this info and not spread it to anybody not trustworthy, word of mouth is the biggest enemy to good things!!!

There are two ways to learn... from others experience or your own. You clearly chose the latter. Funny, with the given subject, I made the same mistake. It doesn't take much. But carry on... learn on your own.
So true! almost all of us here have been burned one way or another over this exact thing, that is where the education should kick in by these members to spread the word instead of belittling the uneducated. I've done the same thing myself but have come to realize we have the best way here to spread the education so why not take advantage of it!!!

What little gem did dude blow up? :D
Chuckie...I'll just say that at one time it was a lil gem that you prolly know well! If you really want to know PM me!

To noahcr, I'm very sorry your thread got hijacked over your looking for help but like was said, the chances of this happening on your first post is ordinary. I really hope some more members come in with some more info for you even in a PM if need be!

One last bit, this thread was one of the reasons I started the thread about conservation of fragile waters. What I can't understand is it has over 100 looks but only one reply after all the threads lately about this same subject. I have received numerous PM's lately about waters being put on blast but no replies in that thread. The only way to educate is to teach, if there is no teachers why ***** about the problems?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts