Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the magazine, do any of you have books of any kind that you would recommend reading. i never use to read but i have this year and it sounds funny but i fell as though i have doubled my I.Q. well just thought i would see.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I just finished Killer Clown, The Jon Wayne Gaycy story. Also check out a book called Hour Game. These are the last 2 ive read.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I presume you are referring to fishing literature. Anything by John Gierach is both entertaining and instructional anecdotally. His topics are usually about our waters though he never discloses the names of lakes and includes a smattering of hunting stories - a nice break.

Trout Bum (this is THE classic Gierach book)
The View From Rat Lake
Standing in a River Waving a Stick

These are good titles to get you started.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well any books maybe its just me growing up or whatever i have just found that while i know little about everything
i am not an expert in anything plus its a big help when it comes to just public relationships you get dif. views and a better understanding that a TV just cant offer while i have my morals and ethics i will not compromise that doesn't make another view completely wrong. all right a little off there but my point is fiction or non-fiction there is a lot to be learned from a good book

T

·
0 Posts
Read Marvel-SpiderMan comic book, Finding Nemo & The Animal Encyclopedia. Of course all this was for my soon to be 5 year old son.

·
Registered
943 Posts
anything from steven king or isaac asimov are my favorites

F

·
0 Posts
depends .....If im dropping the kids off on the pool nothin really beats the sports page ....other then that Ive been reading the orvis guide prospecting trout waters....and other various bass trout and pike books ....when im not fishing im learning about and dreaming about big fish

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
anything asimov
arthur c clarks odyssy serries 2001,2010,2061,and 3001

lots of mags like mother earth news, pop sci and pop mech, and omni if i can find it

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm with _colorado, anything Gierach, especially Standing in a River Waving a Stick, must-read for all the long-rodders (flyfisherman, get your mind out of the gutter)
I read some stuff by Anthony Bourdain about his restaurants, not cookbooks, just books about what goes on behind the scenes when you order that T-bone.
David Guterson has a book called East of the Mountains about a guy going grouse hunting one last time, great read.
Any book by a local guide from anywhere is usually pretty informative, if anyone is going to the Smokies anytime I recommend Angler's Companion by Ian Rutter. It's good for pictures and techniques for anywhere.
Only one week 'til kickoff.... I can hear Rocky Top already...
GO VOLS

·
Registered
943 Posts
roadkill you sound like mike kind of guy in a reading sense of course ;D

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like historical fiction. Terry Johnston has a series concerning mountain men. From the beginning of greenhorn coming out west. First book is Call of the Wind, about 8 books in this series, Then a series concerning the Indian wars. .. Interesting characters, Johnston stays close to historical events with a little elaboration for readers enjoyment.

The mountain men was my favorite, looking forward to the next book that would come out. If this is your genre, I would highly recommend Johnston

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
an excelent nonfiction western in "the bloody bozeman" it is about the bozeman trail to montana and quite the eyeopener about the real west

·
Registered
117 Posts
what about the greatest book of all time Where the red fern grows. On a serious note theres a book callled Night by Eli Weisel. if you are interested about reading about what really happend during the Holacost (spelling)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
i read quite a bit...i like a lot of the authors listed above, but also enjoy James Michener (the author of "Centennial"), Stephen Ambrose ("Undaunted Courage", "Band of Brothers") and also Stephen Hunter (whom created the Earl Swagger character in "Hot Springs" "White Light" "Havanna" and some others...not bad for fiction)

As far as fishing related stories....must reads are Robert Traver and John Gierach...my favorite fishing type authors...great senses of humor and i enjoy thier insight on fishing and people.

I also enjoy military history...im usually reading a book of this type at any given time of the week. This week im reading "D Days in the Pacific" by Donald Miller--a real eye opener on the horrors of the island hopping campaigns of WWII by the Marines and Army.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
_colorado said:
I presume you are referring to fishing literature.  Anything by John Gierach is both entertaining and instructional anecdotally.  His topics are usually about our waters though he never discloses the names of lakes and includes a smattering of hunting stories - a nice break.

Trout Bum (this is THE classic Gierach book)
The View From Rat Lake
Standing in a River Waving a Stick

These are good titles to get you started.
Its funny, if you are from the area that Mr Geirach resides (Lyons) you can kind of piece together the areas he is talking about...i have fished many of them myself. i think thats one of the big things i enjoy about his books, i can relate to the areas he is talking about. Ive met him once and on a few occasions have seen him on the river...but i never bother him, i figure he gets enough people bothering him while he fishes. he seems like a down to earth type guy though...i wonder if he ever frequents this site.

M

·
0 Posts
Burn-n-daylight said:
what about the greatest book of all time Where the red fern grows.  On a serious note theres a book callled Night by Eli Weisel.  if you are interested about reading about what really happend during the Holacost (spelling)
both of these books r excellent and ive read them several times, eli weisel has a sequel called dawn and i think there may be another one, its nuts, also for school we had to pick a book by a foreign author so i chose the divine comedy by dante aligheri, im just reading the inferno for class, but i got the whole book, tough reading but its good stuff

i also like catcher in the rye and rifles for watie, brave new world is good too

i love to read...
and fish of course

1 - 17 of 17 Posts