Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing profound here, just something that's been sticking in my craw for a while now.

Am I the only one who has noticed that in recent years the color associations for Republicans and Democrats have been reversed? And for my money, regrettably so. From the time I began seriously following politics as a young man (the 1980 election) up until Bush-Gore (2000), the far more common color association was Republican = BLUE, and the Democrat = RED!! Some of you fellow-CF'ers might question this, but there is much documentation and it can be easily researched on the net. Yes there were some exceptions, but the predominant color representations were the other way around from today. Only since 2000 did most TV networks make the reversal, for whatever reason.

Personally, I don't like the change. Being a Republican whose favorite color is blue, I was always happy about 'getting the better color'. :) But secondly, it's a fact that red has often been associated with political views on the left, and the Democratic Party is admittedly the more leftward of the two major ones. Furthermore, blue, being associated with the Union, had ties from that time on with the party of Lincoln. So I thought the old R-B, D-R match-up made slightly better sense. Sadly, though, never has the political color association become so culturally embedded as presently, so we might be 'stuck' (as I see it) with the current state of affairs for a long time to come.

Just an offhand anecdote as election day approaches. Not seeing red about it, just feeling a little blue. :-\

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Geez.... ::) You have entirely too much time on your hands, Hop, if this is what is bothering you. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts