Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good job on the video Whomp!

Since we've talked about vises in the past, I really just did a significant upgrade and am stoked on it. I had a $60 generic Pakistani vise that worked well for about a month or so and then gave up on me so I went to the pro shop where I got it and they offered me a huge chunk off their last Renzetti Traveler which normally goes for $165. I ended up getting it for $112 out the door. Super grateful to them...Now I've got a true rotary vise that was made in the USA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you twist off your wire, you will not have to push it down..and won't dull your scissors

I'll try it. Regarding the thread after a whip finish, I notice that some people don't cut it and just pull on it for a clean break. Do you do that? Every time I try, it messes up and I end up just cutting instead.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I'll try it. Regarding the thread after a whip finish, I notice that some people don't cut it and just pull on it for a clean break. Do you do that? Every time I try, it messes up and I end up just cutting instead.

Nope, I don't... I do two triple whips, no head cement unless totally necessary, then cut close with scissors. Save up for these in "Razors" and you will not be sad!

http://www.orvis.com/p/premium-orvis-scissors/75P0?item_code=75P50000&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-FlyFishing-_-75P0-_-127748&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWshtKZklWME84YwR_6D4TANPE-T8HEJxifgT4v0ZHISBUobYeETIOcBoCQ1AQAvD_BwE

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Why the red butt, Whomp? It's adding bulk to the part of the fly that should be tapered down and very slim IMO.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
You got a long ways to go, Whomp... Do you have Charlie's book? That's the best tying book you can ever get... start from the beginning and tie exactly how he explains... I just want you to understand that I'm trying to help, not discourage... but those flies are pretty rough to be selling... I admire your ambition and drive, but use it right if you want to be valid. Sorry for being condescending, but you're young and should hear this from a cocky old dude instead of being told nice things that will never help you improve.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You got a long ways to go, Whomp... Do you have Charlie's book? That's the best tying book you can ever get... start from the beginning and tie exactly how he explains... I just want you to understand that I'm trying to help, not discourage... but those flies are pretty rough to be selling... I admire your ambition and drive, but use it right if you want to be valid. Sorry for being condescending, but you're young and should hear this from a cocky old dude instead of being told nice things that will never help you improve.

I understand they are not perfect but no fly is and for the price they are hard to beat. The imperfect aesthetics are reflected in the price. I’m not asking for $2.50 a fly like a fly shop might. You can go to the store and basically pay twice what you would with me or you can buy something that falls apart in twenty minutes that is way cheaper but was tied in Kenya. I am constantly improving and will only get better.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don’t think this is a bad looking fly, at all. I just need to be more consistent from fly to fly.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Gotcha on the red butt request. My chief constructive criticism on that fly is that the red wire goes too deep into the hook bend which will result in difficulty keeping the fish hooked. Also, a taper that ends up flush with the hook is preferable. If I were filling that red butt request, I would consider using red thread instead of wire to reduce bulk. Here is a good example of a nice taper as well as a proper stopping point. Also, take note of the consistent taper all the way up to the bead.

Techniques to attain these ideals are outlined so very well in Charlie's book. He has so many little tricks that are so very valuable and build upon each other.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I don’t think this is a bad looking fly, at all. I just need to be more consistent from fly to fly.

You think wrong.. it's not good... if I were grading it, I would give you a D+ and it would be worse if you were a full grown man.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
And don't get me wrong.. it will catch fish and it's a good effort.. I am telling you this only to help you have perspective and help you improve. If people bullshit you, it only makes you suffer in the long run. There will be a day you remember this, I guarantee it... You will look back at that fly and kinda cringe.

Oh, and most of my flies are like a B-... so I'm not a great tyer (or speller).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts