Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if any of the Red Feather lakes should have safe ice this weekend?
It's been below freezing every night there for the past few days there..

If not, any thoughts on Joe Wright?

I'm worried I'll get to RF, and find the lake covered, but not thick enough, or rotten ice...

Thanks

Oh, and I meant Cameron pass ice ;D

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have no idea, I'd think there would be some safe ice up there after the cold front we've had, but it might be risky. If you get to that area could you shoot me a PM or something because I wouldn't mind getting in one more trip to Dowdy or Bellaire maybe.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fishslap, until a half hour ago, I thought I'd run into you icing Bellaire tomorow.. :(

Welcome to CF.com!

Park at the dam, and it's easy to get on the lake.

Snow and ice, depends, but should be fairly easy.

do you have electronics? If so, probably a good chance of getting into them... Even if you don't, the fish there are small, but pretty willing to bite

Robbie's Dad posted a really good report on the lake last month. Here's the link

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/index.php?topic=41229.0

Hope this helps. Post a report if you go. :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
I gave up on Bellaire after no confidence of ice. I'm a little reluctant to try Joe W. or Bellaire by myself. Are you going to try Bellair tomorrow?

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again everyone! :)

Fishslap, after checking the web-cam (Rob posted above) this morning, I think I'm passing on RF... I'd take ice or open water, but it looks pretty sketch. W/ the temps barley getting above freezing today, I'm thinking that most of the shoreline will hold ice making it difficult to fish..
Joe Wright's tempting, but I only have a hand auger. Not worried about the drilling, it cuts easy. Just worried that the ice could be too thick, and I'd need an extension...
Sucks, I was looking forward to RF...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wish I had more time to fish today, Joe Wright would be great, but unfortunately time is a big issue. I'd highly recommend following James information and head down from the dam side. Easy access and the fish are always willing once you get through the ice. I fished the NE corner of the lake last time and found the fish in about 40-50 feet of water just hanging out off of the bottom.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Fishslap,
My best guess would be you can get by without an extension, you'll probably have to work through some frozen slush to get to the ice and then I'd say probably 18-24" of ice. This is just a guess on my part based on the thickness the last time I was up there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I went up there a while ago. The ice was a mixture of slush and ice in layers. I made a report, see if you can find it. The Grayling were suspended 8 feet down, and would bite anything and everything. Remember it's artificial flies and lures only.

James, I'd love to meet up sometime. Shoot me a PM or e-mail ([email protected]).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Depends on the lake. Dowdy has Rainbows, Browns, Brookies, and Cutties. Parvin has big Rainbows and Browns, and maybe something else (not sure), and it's flies and lures only. West is the same as Dowdy with some more size, west might have less variety too. There are also Suckers and Muskie in Dowdy, and probably in the others too. Bellaire is Brookies, Rainbows, and Cutties. I think that right, correct me if I'm mistaken any where.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Only lakes I know about in Red Feather is the private stuff in the village... Those lakes hold some big fish...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
BDA2 said:
Only lakes I know about in Red Feather is the private stuff in the village... Those lakes hold some big fish...
Wish I live up there so I could fish them. That'd be sweet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Orion, you can buy a daily pass for all the private ponds (Erie, Shagwa, Hiawatha, Ramona, Apache, Nakomis, and Letitia). It's 20 bucks or more but there is a bunch of puddles, not much pressure, and Big trout.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts