Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Redfeather last week. Camped and fished at Dowdy. The weather was nice and did catch a few trout. I mostly troll lures but did catch a wopper crawdad from the bank on a worm. I even tried part of him for bait but no bites. The fish finder showed a lot of fish, but I think my neighbor might be right the fish are programmed into the fih finde. And NO I didn't have it on simulator.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Dowdy is one of my favorite campgrounds! I love the spots right on the lake. Last year we were told that they might close the campground, drain the lake, and make it deeper? Anyone else hear anything like that?
Anyway, thanks for reporting on Dowdy. Did you hit any other lakes (Parvin, West, Bellare, etc...)while you were there?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The people that were in charge of the campground said it would be closed in October and stay closed for 2 years for improvements. Running water, flush toilets etc. Souds to me like the price is going to go up. In my opinion if you want all the ammenities of home, stay home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dowdy and West Lake are my favorite spots, but this summer the water has been dirty and ugly and I have had little luck. How did the water look? I would love to get back to them. The West Lake campground is a backup for when Dowdy closes. I agree, though, who needs fancy campgrounds?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my father inlaw has a 5th wheel 2 jetski's and 2 fourwheelers ....my wife cant figure out why I dont want to camp with him .....I think they should have full ammenities for seniors who are traveling the country and have a little spot for them and some sights but not all ......I think alot of times they city or county gets grants to fix up lakes and right off the bat think paved roads, huge fishing docks, showers etc ......why not stock crawdads or something protien rich to create a trophy fishery .....or here is one more trash cans right by the water so the bums have less excuses to liter ........

·
Registered
324 Posts
sounds like my wife she will not camp with out showers and a decent toilet and then she bitches at me when i want to go camping i mean camping b/c she thinks i am purposely not including her (which sometimes is the case LOL :D)buut she also doesn.t understand that duusk and dawn are better fishing than noon.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got up at 3am on sat to go fishing and woke my wife being to loud ...she flipped after a few cuss words she asked me do fish sleep.....lol....I told her yup in the heat of the day when most people try to fish

·
Registered
324 Posts
yea she think that b/c its time for her to eat the fish should also eat this is deffenately something that will change with my daughters i hope they can gut and filet a fish by 7 i think that this will keep the useless boys away or at least scare them

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
10 Gauge --- Thanks. 2 years! Man that sucks! :mad: I thought their campground was perfect. Oh well, guess it will be easier to talk the wife into going when it's "improved" ::). I'm going to have to try to get out there before they close now. Spot 16 is mine when they reopen!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I can't stand fancy campgrounds with running water and electricity. I think camping should be tents and sleeping bags only. an rv with a satellite and shower is just weak to me. roughing it is being stinky, growing facial hair, squatting over logs, and cooking on an open fire. i would never camp in anything but a tent. Plus it's more exciting knowing that a bear might drag you out by your sleeping bag.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh I didn't mention the guy in charge of the campground said there had been bears in the campground, I ask him if it would be allright to stick my arm down one of their throats grab them by the tail and turn them inside out. He didn't think I was very funny! ;D

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dowdy on 8/13 was cold, wet, & foggy. There were actually quite a few rain suited families out & the 6 yr. old just had to give it try so we gave him an hour. No one appeared to be getting any action until two women with spincasters, big spreader rigs, and just the right Power Bait set up close to us and pulled in five 12"s one after another. They were nice enough to offer little Eli some bait but we had to leave. Even on a wet 45 degree August mid-day Dowdy can produce, and a closure will be tough.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ive never had any luck with power bait. i must just use the wrong color or something

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
A family on my baseball team, had they're campsite rifled through @ Belair (S.P) 3 weeks ago. 1st night the watermelon was gone. They heard it come back the 2nd night @ 3a.m. Walley ( really the guys name!) went out to see what it was, went back into the camper scared to death, said it was one damn big bear!

·
Registered
943 Posts
makes you think about tent camping doesnt it ???

·
Registered
324 Posts
a guy here at work was up there last weekend and said that there was one big bear with her cubs that trashed his campsite(not smart enough to put food away the night before)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts