Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently fishing with a Redington Crosswater 9ft, 5wt rod (i am a beginner). But I think I am ready to jump to a higher line of rod. I am thinking of Redington RS3.

Has anyone had any experience with the RS3 and what is the difference between the Crosswater and RS3.?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Just a few questions for you to consider. Why do you feel you want/need a new rod if you're just a beginner? How long have you been flyfishing? Do you fish mostly nymphs or dries? Have you had your existing rod long enough to appreciate things such as line loading, shock waves, backbone into the wind (or better yet, against a heavy fish!) or even the weight of the rod after a long, 8-10 hour day of fishing? I ask these questions because I believe that until you have really learned the 'feel' of your rod you can't understand what it is that you're trying to change/improve upon by buying a new rod - unless you have a tendency toward collections. You may also find that by having a real good feel for your current Redington that you'd do a better evaluation of not only Redington but other fly rod lines.

Please don't get me wrong, when I lived in Alaska and got started flyfishing nearly 30 years ago I had a Fenwick fiberglass rod and it was great for turning over large ugly flies to innocent large trout. Now I often throw size 20-22 dries to savvy trout in Colorado. Different circumstances, different rods for sure. But over the years I also developed a feel for the afore mentioned things and I like to believe that each of my rods (and I have many) addresses one or more of those different problems or situations. I still sometimes reach for that $50 Cabelas 8'6" - 6wt for nymphing because it has backbone and a quick tip. Or even the $85 four piece pack rod. Just because I own some $400-600 rods doesn't mean that they're the best rod all the time.

Now, if I can convince myself that I NEED a Hidy 6 weight split bamboo rod......... :D

Good luck with your decision!

Sorry for being a bit on the preachy side but I hope you see what I mean. My advice would be to save the money you intend to spend on a new rod and invest it into simply more time on the water this year (now THAT's some good advice for all of us!).

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
what is it that you dont like or want to improve about your current rod?

might not be the class of your rod but the wieght or length? hard to say not knowing your fealings about your current rod

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have a 9 weight RS3, I like it for my uses but I don't think it would really apply to what you're looking for. I have to agree with _colorado, he's being preachy. Just kidding. Probably getting more experience with your current rod, depending on how much experience you have, would be your best step, depending on your finances. Also, consider going to one of the reputable flyshops around, there are many, and test-casting different rods in different weights and actions to see what you do and don't like. I have a 3 weight Orvis that's limp as a noodle but lays small flies down as soft as a baby's burp. I love it, my buddies can't cast for squat with it. It all depends on how you fish and what you fish for.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You know I own a high dollar winston 4wt and i own 2 reddington red starts and i cant tell you the last time i used the Winston. Just because a rod is high dollar doesnt mean you are going to like fishing it any more. Always cracks me up that flyfishing gets better once you buy a expensive rod and reel. The best thing about reddingtons i find is you can break them and get a replaceement no questions asked. I broke one 8 times one year taught me to always throw it back in the case got tired of running to the shop to get a new one. My opinion I'd rather sink 600 bucks into a couple float trips.

Fish

T

·
0 Posts
look into templefork fly rods, they have some really nice quality rods for reasonable prices - good warranty too

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just got a Redington Wayfarer (9 ft, 4 wt, 5 pc) and like it a lot. It complements my Sportsmans Warehouse 9ft, 6wt, 3 pc and my Temple Fork 6 ft, 2 wt, 2 pc. My only complaint about the Wayfarer is that the reel seat is a bit lacking. It has only one "nut" to tighten against the reel instead of two (two is more secure).

I also like my Temple Fork rod. Good bang for the buck.

That being said, I completely agree with the comments by _colorado. I don't know you, or how good of a fisherman you are so take these comments with a big grain of salt... When you're new to flyfishing it is real easy to blame the equiptment rather than the fisherman. It's also easy to get into a "gadget frenzy" frame of mind. Resist the temptation, expecally when you're going to be shelling out $300+ for a rod & reel. Before you buy you need to know that it will help you and not just prolong the learning curve.

Front Range Anglers in Boulder (and I'm sure other fly shops too) will rent rods and reels. They might even reimburse the cost of the rental if you buy a rod from them afterwards. You might try this out, even if they don't rent the exact rod that you're wanting to buy. Try different lengths, weights, and actions. It might also be your only chance to fish with a more expensive rod than you could normally afford. This experience will let you more correctly judge your current rod and if you decide you want another one then you'll have a better idea about what features to look for.

I'm all for owning dozens of rods, but rods are expensive and you want to make a good purchase. And a rod that works for us isn't always the rod that works for you.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
fishbum said:
I am currently fishing with a Redington Crosswater 9ft, 5wt rod (i am a beginner). But I think I am ready to jump to a higher line of rod. I am thinking of Redington RS3.

Has anyone had any experience with the RS3 and what is the difference between the Crosswater and RS3.?
Fishbum, were you in Two Guys Flyshop looking at rods? Anthony said he might have seen you shopping around for Redingtons...i though he mentioned to me in the past he was on thier pro staff now, so he should have had some good answers for you...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts