Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been dealing with the fishing itch as of late, so I decided now was a good time to do some basic care of my stuff. I'm curious, I am going to clean and re lube my reels. WD40 should be ok right? I don't need to go out and buy anything special for this do I?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
You fish?? :D
Wd-40 might be fine for some cheap spinning reels but I will pass.
Hot sauce is pretty good, ardent makes good stuff, for all out performance check out rocket fuel (brand).
Some parts need grease others oil.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Rem-oil is way better then WD-40 (which I wouldn't recommend using on fishing equipment)..and I use Rem-oil quite a bit. It works well. But if you really want good: go with Quantum Hot Sauce in both the oil and grease. Just make sure you really clean & degrease the parts before using Hot Sauce...

D.J.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey All:

From my shoot sports, I've learned that WD-40 is not always the best lubricant. On guns, it dries leaving a Lacquer-Like coating, and that is not good lubrication.
If WD-40 Dries on your gears etc. it can slow down the smooth operation you want.

Here's my recommendation.

Go to Hobby Lobby's Sewing Dept. On the wall of little supplies, you will find a clear plastic bottle
(empty) for Sewing Machine Oil.

From the auto parts store get "Automatic Transmission Fluid" which is one of the world's greatest lubricants, and works great on guns. Hobby Lobby in the same dept has little empty Eye-Dropper Bottles which are also great for this.

I'm also going through my reels at the moment too.

Odorless Mineral Spirits are good for removing old Oil and Grease, but Paint Thinner is also a good solvent.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Agree with those who recommend against WD-40. WD-40 is great for oiling your closet door hinges, and for loosening up rusty bolts, but it is way too light weight for any fishing reel. You will wear out your reel in no time, if that is the only lube you use on it. WD-40 is more than 50% lightweight solvent, which will quickly evaporate away.

To be strictly kosher, use the lubrication recommended (or sold) by the reel manufacturer. Aside from that, you can get reel grease and reel oil (2 completely different things) from most sporting goods or fishing tackle retailers. Use the grease on the main bearings and gears, and use the oil on other parts such as reel knobs, bail bearings, and so on.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
What Nawanda said got me thinking. I wonder if Hot-Sauce is basically nothing more then Auto-Trany-Fluid? I mean it is red as could be, lubes amazing, and sticks/stains to anything/everything. Just bottled up and sold for ten times the price..

D.J.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the tips guys, I know what I'll need to do when I take care of the issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
djfisherman:

That was what I suspected. It could be, but if so, they have had the manufacturer
leave out the odor. You know, that kind of strong, similar to menthol odor?
Fortunately, in little doses, it isn't evident.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nawanda said:
djfisherman:

That was what I suspected. It could be, but if so, they have had the manufacturer
leave out the odor. You know, that kind of strong, similar to menthol odor?
Fortunately, in little doses, it isn't evident.
True..I was thinking about the smell, but who knows? If it is, then they are the masters of marketing! :D

D.J.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yep, dj Fisherman. They can make a lot of money off of a tiny little bottle of ATF.

And I liked the lil bottles of Hot sauce, but I always lose the little red caps.

·
Registered
386 Posts
WD-40 is Water Dispersant not a lubricant. Also, be careful on the inside of the reels, I used a light grease type lub on one of my Shimano Stella 1000 and it caused the reel to "hydraulically" lock up. Shimano told me the only lub on the inside ever, should be a very light coating of the oil that comes with the reel.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Breakfree CLP

I bought a gallon for my firearms. Has been working fine for my fishing reels.
I have a couple of Ambassador reels that are over ten years old that operate better then new.
I use a stiff brush, an air compressor and a couple drops of CLP.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
What Nawanda said got me thinking. I wonder if Hot-Sauce is basically nothing more then Auto-Trany-Fluid? I mean it is red as could be, lubes amazing, and sticks/stains to anything/everything. Just bottled up and sold for ten times the price..

D.J.
No, hotsauce isn't Tranny fluid. It an oil that has PTFE (Teflon) in it. That's why it lubes so well.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
djfisherman2 said:

D.J.
No, hotsauce isn't Tranny fluid. It an oil that has PTFE (Teflon) in it. That's why it lubes so well.
Ahh.. yeah that makes sense. Thanks.

D.J.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts