Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to where you guys apply grease and where you apply oil when cleaning your reels. I'm gonna get either Hot Sauce products or Reel Butter products...any experienced opinions on those? I'm just trying to extend the life of a couple older Sahara's...thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Little grease on the gears.. Little oil on any moving parts.
Key is little dont use to much .... I have gotten carried away before and it just makes a big mess.

I like Reel Butter...

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wanzek...I knew the gears took grease but wasn't sure if any other places did. Is gun oil a no-no?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
mogul buster said:
Thanks wanzek...I knew the gears took grease but wasn't sure if any other places did. Is gun oil a no-no?
Gun oil, or 3-in-1 oil, or sewing machine oil, is fine on bearings such as reel handles, bail springs, spool oscillator, and the like. But the actual gears benefit from heavier grease. Any of the products sold as reel grease will do, although I have to say I'm not fond of products that have graphite as an additive.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Suggest super light grease on level wind gear. Grease on gears themselves. Everything else gets light oil.

No nos...... Wd40 and gasoline!

Agreed, no graphite additives.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WD-40...is something I use as a cleaner around the house...not for much else. I have heard it's basically kerosine.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I have my own simple system.

Sell them before they need lube and buy a new one. Sometimes I get confused and sell them before I use them. I hate it when I do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts