Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shakespere spinning reel has become clunky. it wasn't submerged or put in sand, it doesn't grind or click or anything and it does cast smoothly. no matter what I'm using it comes back in with more of a chug chug chug than an even pull. it most reminds me of reeling against a rippled tide so you feel each little wave bump.

I'm not sure what to check/do. it's not horribly bothersome since it still casts out the same, but I'd rather a smooth retrieve. can someone suggest what check/do?

the reel was purchased in may of this year.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I would suggest buying a better reel, then I would suggest never buying another shakespere again. Unfortunately with reels you get what you pay for, especially the low end stuff.

You cant get some killer deals on pflueger summits/trions/presidents online and at Cabelas/BPS. Awesome reels that will last much longer.

I can't really help with diagnosing the your problem without taking a real close look at it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my other reel is a pflueger....I bought the wife and I an ugly stick combo in the spring because we were just trying fishing out to see if we liked it. I didn't want to buy a ton of gear if it wasn't something we were going to do (like the damn bicycles I bought that never get ridden)
if it can be salvaged I'd love to make it smooth again rather than disposing of it. I'm looking at another cabela's tourney combo for next spring.

·
Registered
936 Posts
my other reel is a pflueger....I bought the wife and I an ugly stick combo in the spring because we were just trying fishing out to see if we liked it. I didn't want to buy a ton of gear if it wasn't something we were going to do (like the damn bicycles I bought that never get ridden)
if it can be salvaged I'd love to make it smooth again rather than disposing of it. I'm looking at another cabela's tourney combo for next spring.
Have you taken it apart and opened it up at all? Is the spool dented or damaged? You may just need to lubricate the gears.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Where did you buy it?

Try to exchange it and tell them you aren't satisfied. If you get someone reasonable they may give you an exchange with no receipt.

I've done this on stuff I purchased well past the return timeline but I hardly used it.

A lot of places will want to make the customer happy and do the exchange.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
There's a big o-ring under the spool frame. If I had to guess, I'd say it popped out of it's groove. You'll have to take the spool frame off to reseat it.

Oooooor, you could do like Dakota suggested and upgrade, and never buy another Shaksepere, ever again...ever.

Seriously though, it's probably not worth your effort to try to rehab that reel. There are lots of deals coming up soon, especially online. I'd suggest any reel in the Shimano line, starting from the Sedona up to the Sahara. All affordable, durable reels.

Good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks folks!

duly noted on the never purchase again.

I'll take this one apart this weekend. maybe I fix it, if nothing else maybe I learn something about it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Take it apart and if that doesn't work try to return it.
I've used it for a whole season, if it broke right away I'd return it. getting a bunch of use out of it and then returning it isn't really my bag. no offense to anyone who wants to do that. I got my $30 from it.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
Tear it apart, if ya cant fix it or cant get it back together then just buy a new reel. I have always bought Symetres but have found that a Sahara seems to work just as well for $40 less.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I don't know about you but I expect to get more than 1 year of use out of a product when I purchase it, whether it was $30 or not.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it back.

BTW Shimano Sahara is on sale at BPS for $50

Pflueger President XT is $80

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
I don't know about you but I expect to get more than 1 year of use out of a product when I purchase it, whether it was $30 or not.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it back.

BTW Shimano Sahara is on sale at BPS for $50

Pflueger President XT is $80
I mean, it's Shakespere ****, man. ****. They literally manufacture that stuff to not last. I used to have to explain this concept to people when I worked at Gander. They'd come in wanting to buy "a good setup" but wanted that **** for $30. Well, if you're buying a $30 combo, the old adage always applies; "you get what you pay for". People would tell me "It seems like I'm always buying a new combo every summer". Yeah, that's because they're essentially made to be disposable. Those combos aren't for avid fishermen, ****, they're not even really for the casual fisherman. They're for people that get talked into fishing once a year on a camping trip to some lake filled with stockers. It sounds like TheNewGuy is actually looking to be a FISHERMAN. I'm not going to say you have to spend a lot of money to get good quality, but what I am saying is, if you want to improve as a fisherman, your gear matters. Spend a little extra, on a good mid range setup, and it will last and you can grow into it. Suggesting he take it back because it didn't last a year, simply won't help him any. I mean take it back, and get a store credit and apply it to a better setup, yes. Replacement, though? Waste of time. He'll be back next year, doing the same thing.

Sahara for $50 > any Pflueger. And I've had the Pflueger Supreme XT, a $150 reel. I still have yet to own a reel in any class, that I like better than comparable Shimano reels. $50 for a Sahara is a freaking steal!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't mind spending some money on some good gear. I do not see me spending more than $100 on a combo. My cabela's tourney/pfluger combo was $79 on sale and is wonderful. that's about my price point.

If I spent $50 on a reel that would be ok. I know nothing about the gear ratios and so on. fishing trout/eyes/bass using almost exclusively 6lb line on the existing ML rods, what particular reel would you think I should most consider?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also, if anyone stumbles on this or cares - here are some very first year of fishing ever thoughts...

the shakespeare ugly stick/spinning combo really was good for 3ish outtings per month all spring/summer long. it was a low cost way to learn wether this would be something we liked and wanted to continue or now. we got a different $25 combo from the neighbor/walmart and it was total frustrating ****. it would have kept me from trying this any more. the basic $59 combo from cabelas was good enough to let me know I actually like this.

that said, when I sprung for the UL setup with the Diawa (however you spell it) reel for the small mountain lakes and found I could pitch a 1/8 kasty anywhere I want, including 3/4 across the pond and it was smooth as silk - that made even not catching enjoyable. an isolated wyoming mtn pond casting and reeling smoothly all day is a new favorite thing of mine. the occasional clean and pure brook/rainbow/golden for dinner from the same pond just doubles the quality of the day.

getting the tourney rod/reel combo was a similar experience. the wife and I found we both wanted to use the UL setup and not the ugly sticks. it was just so much more nice. now two smooth casting setups are worth it.

I'd like two more smooth reels so we both have nice options with two rods. it's a lot more enjoyable to each have two rods (or three) than for me to have to retie all of my **** AND all of hers all the time. I'm slow and have uncoordinated fingers, it's nicer to just grab the other rod with the other lure and keep fishing.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't mind spending some money on some good gear. I do not see me spending more than $100 on a combo. My cabela's tourney/pfluger combo was $79 on sale and is wonderful. that's about my price point.

If I spent $50 on a reel that would be ok. I know nothing about the gear ratios and so on. fishing trout/eyes/bass using almost exclusively 6lb line on the existing ML rods, what particular reel would you think I should most consider?
Here in the next month or two Cabelas will have pfleuger president and summit rod/reel combos for $70-$60. When I see those sales I usually buy one or two. In fact I just looked and they currently have a sale for $70.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/rod-reel-combos/spinning-combos|/pc/104793480/c/104762880/sc/105791580/pflueger-reg-summit-cabela-s-tourney-trail-reg-se-spinning-combo/1750481.uts?destination=/catalog/browse/spinning-combos/_/N-1102843/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_105791580

If you go to Gift Card Granny you can buy a gift card for another 20% off and really save.

https://www.giftcardgranny.com/buy-gift-cards/cabelas/

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
TNG,

When I worked for Gander, I was a big fan of helping noobs out. I tried to always steer them to the "best" of the store brands within their price range. Based on your level and what sounds like your price range, I'd suggest (if it's not inconvenient for you) going to the new Parker store, and talking with Donald.

I'm not a huge fan of the store brand reels, but they always have something on sale, and I'd imagine they will have some stuff coming up as well.

For a general combo, I'd suggest a rod in medium action; 6'-6" to 7'-0". The Classic(?) line at Gander is a good rod line. They're usually on sale. As is the Tournament line (my personal favorite for quality and value). Pair that with a nice Shimano reel, and you're good to go. A nice setup to grow into, but you won't likely out grow.

Good luck, man.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
TNG,
If you are willing to drive to Colorado Springs I still have a few St. Croix Mojo Bass Rods available that are 6'8" and 6'9" Med Action as well as a couple of different model Penn Spinning reels that will fit into your NTE $100 budget (actually under) and get you good quality gear. None of them are brand new but they are all less than one season old and in great condition. I've just upgraded to all Shimano gear and have more $hyte than one dude can use....

1 - 20 of 80 Posts