Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7,805 Posts
There's a big o-ring under the spool frame. If I had to guess, I'd say it popped out of it's groove. You'll have to take the spool frame off to reseat it.

Oooooor, you could do like Dakota suggested and upgrade, and never buy another Shaksepere, ever again...ever.

Seriously though, it's probably not worth your effort to try to rehab that reel. There are lots of deals coming up soon, especially online. I'd suggest any reel in the Shimano line, starting from the Sedona up to the Sahara. All affordable, durable reels.

Good luck!

· Registered
7,805 Posts
I don't know about you but I expect to get more than 1 year of use out of a product when I purchase it, whether it was $30 or not.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it back.

BTW Shimano Sahara is on sale at BPS for $50

Pflueger President XT is $80
I mean, it's Shakespere ****, man. ****. They literally manufacture that stuff to not last. I used to have to explain this concept to people when I worked at Gander. They'd come in wanting to buy "a good setup" but wanted that **** for $30. Well, if you're buying a $30 combo, the old adage always applies; "you get what you pay for". People would tell me "It seems like I'm always buying a new combo every summer". Yeah, that's because they're essentially made to be disposable. Those combos aren't for avid fishermen, ****, they're not even really for the casual fisherman. They're for people that get talked into fishing once a year on a camping trip to some lake filled with stockers. It sounds like TheNewGuy is actually looking to be a FISHERMAN. I'm not going to say you have to spend a lot of money to get good quality, but what I am saying is, if you want to improve as a fisherman, your gear matters. Spend a little extra, on a good mid range setup, and it will last and you can grow into it. Suggesting he take it back because it didn't last a year, simply won't help him any. I mean take it back, and get a store credit and apply it to a better setup, yes. Replacement, though? Waste of time. He'll be back next year, doing the same thing.

Sahara for $50 > any Pflueger. And I've had the Pflueger Supreme XT, a $150 reel. I still have yet to own a reel in any class, that I like better than comparable Shimano reels. $50 for a Sahara is a freaking steal!

· Registered
7,805 Posts
TNG,

When I worked for Gander, I was a big fan of helping noobs out. I tried to always steer them to the "best" of the store brands within their price range. Based on your level and what sounds like your price range, I'd suggest (if it's not inconvenient for you) going to the new Parker store, and talking with Donald.

I'm not a huge fan of the store brand reels, but they always have something on sale, and I'd imagine they will have some stuff coming up as well.

For a general combo, I'd suggest a rod in medium action; 6'-6" to 7'-0". The Classic(?) line at Gander is a good rod line. They're usually on sale. As is the Tournament line (my personal favorite for quality and value). Pair that with a nice Shimano reel, and you're good to go. A nice setup to grow into, but you won't likely out grow.

Good luck, man.

· Registered
7,805 Posts
I prefer 3000 and I believe the bigger spool helps you cast further which may be a good selling point for you.
Incorrect. The spool size on a spinning reel has less to do with casting distance than on a baitcaster.

The size of spinning reels is based on matching it to the proper rod for balance. for example, a 3000 reel on an Ultra Light rod would be horrible, and you'd actually have more trouble casting it. It would be too big and too heavy for the setup, and would not be balanced.

@TNG, A 2500 spinning reel is likely what you're going to want for a Medium action rod, between 6'-6" and 7'-0". That's a pretty general, all around setup that will work for most all types of fishing here in Colorado.

3000 and above are more for longer, heavier action rods.

· Registered
7,805 Posts
Numerous articles and science regarding larger spools = less friction and increased casting distance.

I agree that the reel size does matter when it comes to feel and balance but I don't think you can say that reel size doesn't impact casting distance.

Field and Stream article:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/03/size-spinning-spools-narrow-vs-wide#page-2

Bassmaster article (yes it's a spinning reel!):
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/biggerlighter-spinning-reels-are-better
I didn't say it doesn't matter. Just not as much as a baitcaster. And for a guy starting out, the casting difference would not be nearly as noticeable. And honestly, a full spool matters more (for the same reasons stated in the articles).

It's not really that big of a deal, I'm just trying to help TNG out. Our opinions differ on what works best. I'm confident in my advice. Besides, I'm not sure casting distance is the first thing TNG is going to concern himself with.

· Registered
7,805 Posts
I mentioned the larger spool for better distance because I remembered him asking for advice on getting better distance

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/15-tackle-garage/141393-spinning-rod-newbie.html

And ya kinda did say it didn't matter... in fact you said I was, "Incorrect" >:D:biggrin1:

Regardless, the weight difference between a 2500 and a 3000 is a few ounces and if it can get a bank basher a little better distance I say it's worth it.

To each his own.

Ok then. If a bigger spool gives you more confidence in your casting, more power to you.

Anyway, TNG, there's good information in this thread. The best advice I can give you is this, fish with people that are proficient and know what they're doing. That's the best way to learn. Then from there, figure out what it is you like and make adjustments that fit your style best.

I still say, upgrade your gear to a nice mid-level setup, you will notice a difference right away. Good line will help a ton with casting as well. As Dakota mentioned above. If you really wanna whip it out there, look into using Nanofil. Be careful though, you'll need to learn to tie some leader knots. Most of our water is very clear. A fluorocarbon leader will make a world of difference with your success rate.

Good luck!

· Registered
7,805 Posts
Slayer is right. Vanish is trash. And Fluoro sucks for spinning reels. You have to use a very light line fluoro for spinning reels. 4-6#, IMO.

IMO, you don't need fluoro on spinning reels, though. Use a superline (braid or Nanofil) and a fluoro leader.

Slayer, regarding the 3000 reels and outcasting everyone, I used to believe the same, until I started fishing with some cats that can cast a mile. Gear matters, and so does how it's setup. But at the end of the day, it's all about them skills.

I can hang with (almost) anyone casting, for distance and accuracy, but some people just have that "it" when it comes to the "long ball". ;D

· Registered
7,805 Posts
Well if the Saturday morning breakfast club starts up again ice fishing you can tag along if you want...thank God that is a few weeks away as I am not desperate enough to go ice fishing yet...there are some places that dont freeze up into January that I want to hit yet...Grababrewski will gladly drink your beer...location will probably be Atown or Creek...
No...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.