Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Where did you buy it?

Try to exchange it and tell them you aren't satisfied. If you get someone reasonable they may give you an exchange with no receipt.

I've done this on stuff I purchased well past the return timeline but I hardly used it.

A lot of places will want to make the customer happy and do the exchange.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't know about you but I expect to get more than 1 year of use out of a product when I purchase it, whether it was $30 or not.

I wouldn't hesitate to take it back.

BTW Shimano Sahara is on sale at BPS for $50

Pflueger President XT is $80

· Registered
2,652 Posts
on the sahara, what series? I was thinking 2500 based on my limited knowledge. other suggestions?
Yeah 2500 is fine. And the only difference between that and the 3000 is the size of the spool. Same reel though
I prefer 3000 and I believe the bigger spool helps you cast further which may be a good selling point for you.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Incorrect. The spool size on a spinning reel has less to do with casting distance than on a baitcaster.
Numerous articles and science regarding larger spools = less friction and increased casting distance.

I agree that the reel size does matter when it comes to feel and balance but I don't think you can say that reel size doesn't impact casting distance.

Field and Stream article:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/03/size-spinning-spools-narrow-vs-wide#page-2

Bassmaster article (yes it's a spinning reel!):
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/biggerlighter-spinning-reels-are-better

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I didn't say it doesn't matter. Just not as much as a baitcaster. And for a guy starting out, the casting difference would not be nearly as noticeable. And honestly, a full spool matters more (for the same reasons stated in the articles).

It's not really that big of a deal, I'm just trying to help TNG out. Our opinions differ on what works best. I'm confident in my advice. Besides, I'm not sure casting distance is the first thing TNG is going to concern himself with.
I mentioned the larger spool for better distance because I remembered him asking for advice on getting better distance

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/15-tackle-garage/141393-spinning-rod-newbie.html

And ya kinda did say it didn't matter... in fact you said I was, "Incorrect" >:D:biggrin1:

Regardless, the weight difference between a 2500 and a 3000 is a few ounces and if it can get a bank basher a little better distance I say it's worth it.

To each his own.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I like a vast majority of beers and brew my own. If I'm out I like trying new stuff but when I'm at home I like the cheap stuff!

But those beers above ~10% (besides IPA's) are usually too sweet for me.

And I ain't paying $10+ for a bomber.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
You can outfit yourself for $20 if you tag along with someone.

Ice rod combo $13
Rat Finkee Jigs $2.50
Shrimpo Jig $2.50
Wax worms $2

If you go solo get:

Ice safety spikes $6
Spud bar - lots of DIY options here
Auger - I got mine on CL for $15
Ice scoop - $3 or bring a kitchen ladle!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.