Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shakespere spinning reel has become clunky. it wasn't submerged or put in sand, it doesn't grind or click or anything and it does cast smoothly. no matter what I'm using it comes back in with more of a chug chug chug than an even pull. it most reminds me of reeling against a rippled tide so you feel each little wave bump.

I'm not sure what to check/do. it's not horribly bothersome since it still casts out the same, but I'd rather a smooth retrieve. can someone suggest what check/do?

the reel was purchased in may of this year.

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my other reel is a pflueger....I bought the wife and I an ugly stick combo in the spring because we were just trying fishing out to see if we liked it. I didn't want to buy a ton of gear if it wasn't something we were going to do (like the damn bicycles I bought that never get ridden)
if it can be salvaged I'd love to make it smooth again rather than disposing of it. I'm looking at another cabela's tourney combo for next spring.

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't mind spending some money on some good gear. I do not see me spending more than $100 on a combo. My cabela's tourney/pfluger combo was $79 on sale and is wonderful. that's about my price point.

If I spent $50 on a reel that would be ok. I know nothing about the gear ratios and so on. fishing trout/eyes/bass using almost exclusively 6lb line on the existing ML rods, what particular reel would you think I should most consider?

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, if anyone stumbles on this or cares - here are some very first year of fishing ever thoughts...

the shakespeare ugly stick/spinning combo really was good for 3ish outtings per month all spring/summer long. it was a low cost way to learn wether this would be something we liked and wanted to continue or now. we got a different $25 combo from the neighbor/walmart and it was total frustrating ****. it would have kept me from trying this any more. the basic $59 combo from cabelas was good enough to let me know I actually like this.

that said, when I sprung for the UL setup with the Diawa (however you spell it) reel for the small mountain lakes and found I could pitch a 1/8 kasty anywhere I want, including 3/4 across the pond and it was smooth as silk - that made even not catching enjoyable. an isolated wyoming mtn pond casting and reeling smoothly all day is a new favorite thing of mine. the occasional clean and pure brook/rainbow/golden for dinner from the same pond just doubles the quality of the day.

getting the tourney rod/reel combo was a similar experience. the wife and I found we both wanted to use the UL setup and not the ugly sticks. it was just so much more nice. now two smooth casting setups are worth it.

I'd like two more smooth reels so we both have nice options with two rods. it's a lot more enjoyable to each have two rods (or three) than for me to have to retie all of my **** AND all of hers all the time. I'm slow and have uncoordinated fingers, it's nicer to just grab the other rod with the other lure and keep fishing.

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Anyway, TNG, there's good information in this thread. The best advice I can give you is this, fish with people that are proficient and know what they're doing. That's the best way to learn.
tons of good info! thanks everyone! and I'm always willing to bring the beer if anyone wants to go fishing. ya don't even have to share a honey hole.

I still say, upgrade your gear to a nice mid-level setup, you will notice a difference right away. Good line will help a ton with casting as well.

Good luck!
I got the cabela's ML IM8 rod to replace the broken one. opted for 7'6" and that really seems to make a difference in the 1/8oz lures and a lot of the rapalas. 1/4 oz stuff flies out there pretty well with most any of the setups. the stiffer ugly stick is actually really nice with fly and bobber since there's so much weight in the bobber. I will look for a sahara on black friday sale and maybe grab two, one for me one for the mrs.

with regard to mono line memory - I put floruo on the UL setup and it seems to be a total mess after 4-5 outings (I had it put on, I didn't put it on myself). do you change your mono each season? I don't have the option of spooling it out behind a boat to unwind. most of the setups seem not to have too much curl in them once cast out and left loose. I'm finding that the berkley vanish works nicely for me without being a ton of $

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Eh, beer is just a small part of the fun when fishing. I like trips when action is so good, there is no time to drink. For other times, pass me a cold one.

I'd love a day with so much action there's no time to drink. but in the microbrew capital of the world one's gotta try the lil local guys from time to time (or every time)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.