Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Most of my reels are Shimano, but I've had 2 small Shakespeare Sigma 200s for over 5 years and they've been great reels. I use them for ice fishing and UL stuff. No experience with any other models but they don't ALL suck lol

· Registered
3,764 Posts
I upgraded to Symmetre a few years back. I feel that they are worth the $$.

Does BPS still do that "trade in" sale? The one where they collect old poles/reels and donate to a charity, and give you a discount on a new reel?

· Registered
2,652 Posts
on the sahara, what series? I was thinking 2500 based on my limited knowledge. other suggestions?
Yeah 2500 is fine. And the only difference between that and the 3000 is the size of the spool. Same reel though
I prefer 3000 and I believe the bigger spool helps you cast further which may be a good selling point for you.

· Registered
7,805 Posts
I prefer 3000 and I believe the bigger spool helps you cast further which may be a good selling point for you.
Incorrect. The spool size on a spinning reel has less to do with casting distance than on a baitcaster.

The size of spinning reels is based on matching it to the proper rod for balance. for example, a 3000 reel on an Ultra Light rod would be horrible, and you'd actually have more trouble casting it. It would be too big and too heavy for the setup, and would not be balanced.

@TNG, A 2500 spinning reel is likely what you're going to want for a Medium action rod, between 6'-6" and 7'-0". That's a pretty general, all around setup that will work for most all types of fishing here in Colorado.

3000 and above are more for longer, heavier action rods.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
Incorrect. The spool size on a spinning reel has less to do with casting distance than on a baitcaster.
Numerous articles and science regarding larger spools = less friction and increased casting distance.

I agree that the reel size does matter when it comes to feel and balance but I don't think you can say that reel size doesn't impact casting distance.

Field and Stream article:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/03/size-spinning-spools-narrow-vs-wide#page-2

Bassmaster article (yes it's a spinning reel!):
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/biggerlighter-spinning-reels-are-better

· Registered
7,805 Posts
Numerous articles and science regarding larger spools = less friction and increased casting distance.

I agree that the reel size does matter when it comes to feel and balance but I don't think you can say that reel size doesn't impact casting distance.

Field and Stream article:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/honest-angler/2011/03/size-spinning-spools-narrow-vs-wide#page-2

Bassmaster article (yes it's a spinning reel!):
http://www.bassmaster.com/blog/biggerlighter-spinning-reels-are-better
I didn't say it doesn't matter. Just not as much as a baitcaster. And for a guy starting out, the casting difference would not be nearly as noticeable. And honestly, a full spool matters more (for the same reasons stated in the articles).

It's not really that big of a deal, I'm just trying to help TNG out. Our opinions differ on what works best. I'm confident in my advice. Besides, I'm not sure casting distance is the first thing TNG is going to concern himself with.

· Registered
301 Posts
I'm a flailer, so don't know diddly about spinning outfits, except I can get one out farther with no room for a backcast on the bank. That said, I can't throw my present outfit as far as I like, and think it matters a lot more what reel I have than what rod. I have a Mitchell 6' rod with a Mitchell "pesca" reel - anybody got any insight to what reel might sling it out there farther? The rod is a "medium", whatever that means.

· Registered
969 Posts
Medium refers to the stiffness of the spine in the rod. The spine of a rod is very important if you are interested in using a variety of rods for different fishing applications. A reel doesn't have as much influence on an angler's cast as one might think. There is no doubt it affects casting range, but I think you only really see the difference in extreme instances. Extra-large reel on an ultra light rod.

There are other variable such as line weight, line type, rod length, weight of the bait or lure, and spool size that influence it much more. For example, if you are using monofilament line that is full of memory you wont get any distance, specifically if its twisted or sun damaged.

My experience has been reel quality doesn't really associate with "castability", many of the things I discussed above can drastically increase your casting range. This goes without saying that if you buy a shakespear (sorry newguy), and the spool comes with burs around the top it won't cast well.

It sounds like your outfit is already pretty well balanced, so you probably either have a spool or, most likely, a line problem.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I didn't say it doesn't matter. Just not as much as a baitcaster. And for a guy starting out, the casting difference would not be nearly as noticeable. And honestly, a full spool matters more (for the same reasons stated in the articles).

It's not really that big of a deal, I'm just trying to help TNG out. Our opinions differ on what works best. I'm confident in my advice. Besides, I'm not sure casting distance is the first thing TNG is going to concern himself with.
I mentioned the larger spool for better distance because I remembered him asking for advice on getting better distance

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/15-tackle-garage/141393-spinning-rod-newbie.html

And ya kinda did say it didn't matter... in fact you said I was, "Incorrect" >:D:biggrin1:

Regardless, the weight difference between a 2500 and a 3000 is a few ounces and if it can get a bank basher a little better distance I say it's worth it.

To each his own.

· Registered
7,805 Posts
I mentioned the larger spool for better distance because I remembered him asking for advice on getting better distance

http://www.coloradofisherman.com/forum/15-tackle-garage/141393-spinning-rod-newbie.html

And ya kinda did say it didn't matter... in fact you said I was, "Incorrect" >:D:biggrin1:

Regardless, the weight difference between a 2500 and a 3000 is a few ounces and if it can get a bank basher a little better distance I say it's worth it.

To each his own.

Ok then. If a bigger spool gives you more confidence in your casting, more power to you.

Anyway, TNG, there's good information in this thread. The best advice I can give you is this, fish with people that are proficient and know what they're doing. That's the best way to learn. Then from there, figure out what it is you like and make adjustments that fit your style best.

I still say, upgrade your gear to a nice mid-level setup, you will notice a difference right away. Good line will help a ton with casting as well. As Dakota mentioned above. If you really wanna whip it out there, look into using Nanofil. Be careful though, you'll need to learn to tie some leader knots. Most of our water is very clear. A fluorocarbon leader will make a world of difference with your success rate.

Good luck!

· Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Anyway, TNG, there's good information in this thread. The best advice I can give you is this, fish with people that are proficient and know what they're doing. That's the best way to learn.
tons of good info! thanks everyone! and I'm always willing to bring the beer if anyone wants to go fishing. ya don't even have to share a honey hole.

I still say, upgrade your gear to a nice mid-level setup, you will notice a difference right away. Good line will help a ton with casting as well.

Good luck!
I got the cabela's ML IM8 rod to replace the broken one. opted for 7'6" and that really seems to make a difference in the 1/8oz lures and a lot of the rapalas. 1/4 oz stuff flies out there pretty well with most any of the setups. the stiffer ugly stick is actually really nice with fly and bobber since there's so much weight in the bobber. I will look for a sahara on black friday sale and maybe grab two, one for me one for the mrs.

with regard to mono line memory - I put floruo on the UL setup and it seems to be a total mess after 4-5 outings (I had it put on, I didn't put it on myself). do you change your mono each season? I don't have the option of spooling it out behind a boat to unwind. most of the setups seem not to have too much curl in them once cast out and left loose. I'm finding that the berkley vanish works nicely for me without being a ton of $

· Registered
17,067 Posts

The size of spinning reels is based on matching it to the proper rod for balance. for example, a 3000 reel on an Ultra Light rod would be horrible, and you'd actually have more trouble casting it. It would be too big and too heavy for the setup, and would not be balanced.

@TNG, A 2500 spinning reel is likely what you're going to want for a Medium action rod, between 6'-6" and 7'-0". That's a pretty general, all around setup that will work for most all types of fishing here in Colorado.

3000 and above are more for longer, heavier action rods.
I use 3000s and can outcast anybody! On medium and medium light.BTW.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.