Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
7,805 Posts
Slayer is right. Vanish is trash. And Fluoro sucks for spinning reels. You have to use a very light line fluoro for spinning reels. 4-6#, IMO.

IMO, you don't need fluoro on spinning reels, though. Use a superline (braid or Nanofil) and a fluoro leader.

Slayer, regarding the 3000 reels and outcasting everyone, I used to believe the same, until I started fishing with some cats that can cast a mile. Gear matters, and so does how it's setup. But at the end of the day, it's all about them skills.

I can hang with (almost) anyone casting, for distance and accuracy, but some people just have that "it" when it comes to the "long ball". ;D

· Registered
3,945 Posts
All this "debate" about casting distance... In my experience, having the right rod (good guides, right flex, right weight for the lure) and the right reel (design and features) make the biggest difference in my casting (I say "my" because everyone is different). I would encourage the OP to get better gear, as others have said.

· Registered
3,592 Posts
I'm a fan of Shimano reels, I had a 5000 Stradic I used for over a year in saltwater and it froze up do to losing the cover on the right side for changing to a lefty that fell off.
It was an expensive reel so I sent it back to Shimano's repair shop with an open credit card per their rules.
Was surprised to get a brand new reel back in the mail along with my old spool and was charged 25 dollars.
A second spool that I now have would of cost more.

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Prize money=Keystone Ice.

Im thinking a 3000 with 4lb Nano hucking a 3/8 oz. kasty on my 7 ft St. Croix would do it-
I might be convinced by 30 stones. :D But the investment to optimize my casting distance might cost more than the 30 stones... Although, I could possibly chance into a win with my 11 ft surf rod set up. ;D

· Registered
24,883 Posts
Prize money=Keystone Ice.
Whats first place a case of Blew Cheese? The point of prizes is having something actually coveted by the aforementioned contestants!

Im thinking a 3000 with 4lb Nano hucking a 3/8 oz. kasty on my 7 ft St. Croix would do it-
When did you forsake mono for the darkside of Nano...the world is rnding for sure!!!

· Registered
17,061 Posts
Whats first place a case of Blew Cheese? The point of prizes is having something actually coveted by the aforementioned contestants!

When did you forsake mono for the darkside of Nano...the world is rnding for sure!!!
I didn't. I hate nano. Too freekin wispy. Just that it would win the long distance casting championship.:biggrin1:

· Registered
3,945 Posts
Eh, beer is just a small part of the fun when fishing. I like trips when action is so good, there is no time to drink. For other times, pass me a cold one.

· Registered
2,652 Posts
I like a vast majority of beers and brew my own. If I'm out I like trying new stuff but when I'm at home I like the cheap stuff!

But those beers above ~10% (besides IPA's) are usually too sweet for me.

And I ain't paying $10+ for a bomber.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.