Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any supertuning of their reels? Bearing upgrades, drag upgrades, handle, or spool upgrades. Was it worth the cost? Where to find upgrade components. Benefits and drawbacks.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Not 100% sure but I doubt it would be worth the cost. Unless you were ordering parts and installing them yourself. Which I dont recommend unless your super confident with the guts of the reels you plan on modifying.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
It's like lego's, parts go in one way.....

I can see some ABEC 5's for the price to be beneficial, but I can't see spending the $$ on the ABEC 7's

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I haven't sent my reel off where they super tune certain friction parts.
I plan to send in a few reels to get that done while they are getting cleaned. Most places it is only 5-7 dollars more a reel.
I have a couple reels with drag upgrades and spool bearing upgrades. Drag upgrades are worth it on some daiwas but wouldn't mess with it on the shimanos.
Spools is reel dependent but expect to spend 70-80+.
I have one carbon handle, it is lighter but I wouldn't spend $100 on one. Also smoother if you add bearings.
I can add more when I get home if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Gary Donatone did this for a while, he is always very reasonable.

In the "old days" super-tuning was a way to get better performance out of a real with the STOCK components.

It was just a thorough de-grease, polish, and re-lube with light weight oil. All the friction points, the drive gears, the pinion, the bearings and bushings, were polished to a mirror shine. There were different ways of doing it, some guys used toothpaste with diatom compounds, some guys used pneumatic equipment for super high rpms and a buffing compound. For my Currado 200B's I used a jewelers rouge with a Q-tip in my small collet on my Dremel, and wet-dry sandpaper down to 6000 grit with water and a surfactant. De-greased, polished, re-lubed with light weight machine oil.

Prior to the treatment, I could cast about thirty yards +/- with 1/4oz. After the tune, I could get forty+ yards with 3/16! Worth it in my book.

·
Registered
16,529 Posts
I know a guy who spend shours and hours fine-tuning his baitcasters. I think he spends more time tuning than fishing. Actually, I am certain of it- ;)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
What reels are you looking to super tune?
You fish with Shimano's right? No real reason to buy different spools on those reel IMO.
If the reel is and has smashed drag washers carbontex is a worth while upgrade. All the newer Shimano baitcaster use Dartanium Drag drags which are great out of the box. Carbontex you can get a lb or two extra drag pressure but not needed on 98% of reels.
Bearing upgrades only worth spending money on the spool bearings and IMO you can notice a difference.
Have a bunch of different choices with hybrid, SS, shielded, non shielded and all different brands. Lots of opinions on what is best but honestly any ABEC5-7 bearing is better than what is currently in the reel.

Handle is mostly looks and a little bit of weight knocked off like I posted above. Can put two bearings in each knob which help smoothness but not worth $100+ unless you are going for bling or pimping out a reel or two.
The two major carbon handle brands are ZPI and bassart.

Look on plat tackle, Japan tackle, and ebay for starters.
For bearings most place that do cleanings have access to a few company's. Or just google search shimano/daiwa reel bearings.
Tackletour is a great place to read and search for this stuff also.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking to upgrade a chronarch sf(old model).
Scorpion 1000.
Calcutta 400b
Calcutta 400 te.

Mainly bearing upgrades is what i'm thinking. How much are those abec7s? I know that they are easy to install.

What about boca bearings?

What do you recommend?

What else is out there?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
I know a guy who spend shours and hours fine-tuning his baitcasters. I think he spends more time tuning than fishing. Actually, I am certain of it- ;)
Discloco spends a lot of time buying instead of tuning, maybe he has a new hobby?

If he spent more time fishing and less time buying. He could, improve his casting distance, by 2' per $1000 he's spent in the last 3 years. Then he might be able to outcast me. :eek: ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Haha ya we all know he has to have the best and nothing but the best. Yet this is why I wait two or three years and he sells me all his all older but good rods and reels for good prices. I think he wants to get into eBay trading or something like that

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do spend money on tackle. ;D Funny thing that cracks me up is that both Biggie and Retodd are always "borrowing" my baits that seem to always get "donated" to the submerged structure of our local impoundments. I recall Biggie loosing two huds and a bbz1 in one trip! Hmmmm? Trust me, supertuning is just a hobby being added to yet another habit forming hobby. As far as casting goes, braid vs. flouro on spinning reels isnt a fair comparison.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey that's just not nice and I most of the time return the tackle I use and I can only remember a couple of rapalas, and maybe a couple other things. So why you got to put me in the same category as biggie loosing Huds and bbz-1s Thats just not fair

·
Registered
301 Posts
discloco said:
Looking to upgrade a chronarch sf(old model).
Scorpion 1000.
Calcutta 400b
Calcutta 400 te.

Mainly bearing upgrades is what i'm thinking. How much are those abec7s? I know that they are easy to install.

What about boca bearings?

What do you recommend?

What else is out there?
??? ??? ??? I'm curious, but what would you need to "upgrade" in a Calcutta? I have 9 of them, 3 of which were bought the first year the came out back in the early 90's. (the silver ones!) They were all perfect and flawless right out of the box! If they're worn out after a bunch of years of fishing, then I'd understand. They'd then need "repaired", not "upgraded." Otherwise, don't try to fix perfection.

I've caught some giant fish (over 150# tarpon) on my 200 and 400 Calcuttas, with 30 pound braid, and the drag cranked down. No problems! They certainly couldn't be upgraded. On the few where the drag washers have become worn after several seasons of laker fishing, I've replaced the washers with "smoothies," but they're not any smoother than a new Calcutta. Bearings are replaced with Shimano bearings, but not very often. There's "Calcutta smooth", and then there's everything else!

Try smoothies (Smooth-Drag dot com) for the chronarch or scorpion drags. They still won't ever be Calcutta smooth though. ;)

**And no, I'm not sponsored or "sold out" to either company. I pay full retail!

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Tarpon those spool bearings are abec 3's. Replace with 5's or better yet 7's and you will se an improvement.
The spool will start faster and spin faster. Faster starts makes it easier to throw light baits without bird nests.
Not sure on the drag but I have heard better things from carbontex drag than smoothies. In most systems it adds some more pressure.
Calcutta is a sweet reel but I really only care for the te. I am sure most are fine with the b's but they aren't very refined IMO.
I love my top of the line Calcutta tedc 200! It is heavy but so so sweet minus the "normal" bit of shimano backplay on a $500+ reel! ::)
As for brand I have limited experience with them. Mine have all been abec 7's but non orangeseals.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well I've never used different bearings, so I can't comment. I just can't imagine the reels being any smoother. I only cast baits with mine on ocassion, as they are mostly used for jig fishing for lakers. But I do use them inshore in the salt for snook, tarpon, etc with 1/4 oz. jig heads.

Maybe I'll try another bearing next time one wears out, just to see. The bearing you speak of is the "roller clutch bearing" located behind the center of the handle, right?

This is the time of year when I find out how the clutch bearings are doing, in the extreme cold. They tend to "shrink" and start to fail in the coldest of temperatures. A Shimano repairman in Calif. once told me "It doesn't get that cold in Japan." ;D So I may have one or two to replace pretty soon.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Tarpon they are called the spool bearings... On my low profile reels they have one per side.
Not sure on the calcuttas but I would think two also.
Doesn't matter a bit when not casting. One way to test before you fish the reel is to spin the spool as fast as you can with your finger with the old bearings then do it with the new bearings.
Also make sure you do not over oil these bearings! One drop is all they need. They will need to be oiled more often. Keep in mind ceramic bearings are louder than stock bearings.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have been thinking about upgrading bearings in my curados (10) but its hard to justify the cost. The 5s are not cheap and the 7s want you to bend over. Maybe when I win the lottery :'( The only time I need to make a monster cast is for the gd wipers and some of those casts would need rocket assist not bearings.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
discloco said:
I do spend money on tackle. ;D Funny thing that cracks me up is that both Biggie and Retodd are always "borrowing" my baits that seem to always get "donated" to the submerged structure of our local impoundments. I recall Biggie loosing two huds and a bbz1 in one trip! Hmmmm? Trust me, supertuning is just a hobby being added to yet another habit forming hobby. As far as casting goes, braid vs. flouro on spinning reels isnt a fair comparison.
What I really meant was THANK YOU!!! The only reason i can cast farther than you is that i've fished from shore for too long, and i'm a boat whore!!! Love fishing in your boat. Especially when you hand me a swimbait worth more than my rod and reel combo :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts