Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I here there is some thing you can put on your reels too keep them from freezing up. Would it be ok if I used an E.P.A. friendly wind shield de icer on them?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a shelter, I need to aquire a good used heater. Buddy or the propane bud burner. Was less of a problem today then yesterday.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Where are they freezing up? Is the whole reel a block of ice? I fish outside 9 out of 10 times, ditched the braid and havent looked back. Try not to get them wet. IF you are talking about the line freezing to the reel, its usally minor.

·
Registered
516 Posts
- 0 degrees, will cause havok with the best of reels, and I love fishing outside. I also like baitcasters and braid,..but with those temps,..best to be in with a heater. I have had spinning reels freeze up (don't set them down in the snow or slush,..don't ask me how I know), and have had the anti-reverse become useless on a few in -18 degrees. And the wad of ice on the line at water level,...lol! Bite it off with your teeth? ;)

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
No heater? Seriously, you gotta have something to take the chill off! :) I have a few heaters but almost always just end up using my Coleman Sportcat; really makes a difference. I have an extra one I can sell you, works fine except you have to light it manually instead of with the Piezo. Say, $20. Send me a pm if you want it.

I agree that braid is not ideal for ice fishing.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I have a cabels bait caster and a couple other spinning reels, that I'm outside all day with 0 to- 10, and have never once had any issue, as long as you keep it out if the snow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts