Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

What brand of baitcasters is best for bass fishing and ice fishing?

• Shimano

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quantum

• Daiwa

• Abu Garcia

• Bass Pro Shops Brand

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a new baitcaster and I wanted some advice.
I have a Quantam Pulse reel and a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier reel.
The Drag on them dosen't work well when it's cold for some reason. :mad:
Thanks! ;)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You're asking for reels to do two different things, and under different weather conditions.  The reels you list should do fine for bass fishing, as Quantum, Shimano, ABU Garcia, and BPS all make quality reels.  I personally like the Shimano Curados and Citicas and the ABU Garcia C3 series for bass fishing, but I know that lots of folks have had good experiences with the Quantums and the BPS reels.  Any reel that has a smooth action, a spool that spins with little resistance, and a decent drag should work well for bass fishing.

Ice fishing is a different matter.  You don't have to cast, you still need a decent drag, but you are also working in a very cold environment.  I started off using my ABU Garcias and while they worked, they had two big drawbacks.  First, they were metal, and when you're fishing on Blue Mesa in -20F weather, palming a piece of metal that has been supercooled to -20F doesn't feel good, especially if you occasionally grab it with your gloves off. The second drawback (and this is probably true of most open-water fishing reels) is that the grease used to lube them wasn't designed to perform at low temps.

What I ended up doing was switching to a reel with a plastic frame cover (my old-school Shiman Citica) and then replacing the open-water grease (Quantum Hot Sauce) with HT's Blue Lube.  The reel works great, it has a decent drag, and can hold an unholy amount of 30-lb braid for deep jigging for lakers.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FishDr said:
You're asking for reels to do two different things, and under different weather conditions.  The reels you list should do fine for bass fishing, as Quantum, Shimano, ABU Garcia, and BPS all make quality reels.  I personally like the Shimano Curados and Citicas and the ABU Garcia C3 series for bass fishing, but I know that lots of folks have had good experiences with the Quantums and the BPS reels.  Any reel that has a smooth action, a spool that spins with little resistance, and a decent drag should work well for bass fishing.

Ice fishing is a different matter.  You don't have to cast, you still need a decent drag, but you are also working in a very cold environment.  I started off using my ABU Garcias and while they worked, they had two big drawbacks.  First, they were metal, and when you're fishing on Blue Mesa in -20F weather, palming a piece of metal that has been supercooled to -20F doesn't feel good, especially if you occasionally grab it with your gloves off. The second drawback (and this is probably true of most open-water fishing reels) is that the grease used to lube them wasn't designed to perform at low temps.

What I ended up doing was switching to a reel with a plastic frame cover (my old-school Shiman Citica) and then replacing the open-water grease (Quantum Hot Sauce) with HT's Blue Lube.  The reel works great, it has a decent drag, and can hold an unholy amount of 30-lb braid for deep jigging for lakers.

Hope this helps!
Thanks! How about reels under $100.00?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've been told time and again to never spend less than 80 bucks on a baitcaster. Something that has external adjustability. Preferably one with dual adjustability. The people at BPS rave about the abu garcia, but the more money you spend, the easier the baitcaster is to use.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think that some of the BPS reels run less than $100. The round Garcia's also run for less than $100, but those metal frames get mighty cold at times. I don't know what the frames of the Quantum reels are made of, but if you want low-profile and don't want to spend an arm, a leg, and two ribs, I'd consider the BPS or Quantum reels, and then switch out the grease depending on the season.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
With baitcasters, a good deal of the expense of these is wrapped up in the braking system. If you have an "educated thumb," then you can forego some of the more expensive models with exotic braking systems.

I run my baitcasters with the braking system set at 0 and just let my thumb do all the work.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I use spinning reels for all my ice stuff. Abu Garcia Cardinal C101's are perfect for 4, 6, and 8# line

I have Shimano Sidestabs on my 2 basic rods (they were about $20 apiece at BPS 2 years ago when I got 'em) - they're a little different as the drag adjustment is on the bottom instead of the top, but they work just fine.

Currently don't use line heavier on any of my lighter weight stuff than about 6-8# mono anyway. Just haven't had a need for baitcasters.

Hope that was helpful anyway.

D

·
0 Posts
FishDr said:

FishDr is wise! I agree.

(Except for the part about using braid - I prefer mono for ice fishing - doesn't absorb water and freeze up like braid.)

D

·
0 Posts
coloradoman25 said:
I am willing to bet you all love shimano because they are more readily accessible than daiwa etc...
I love Shimano baitcasters because of the super smooth drags at a "reasonable" price and lots of models in LH retrieve.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
coloradoman25 said:
I am willing to bet you all love shimano because they are more readily accessible than daiwa etc...
I have a couple of Daiwa baitcasters as well. My first baitcaster ever was a Daiwa Millionaire (from the mid-80s) that worked great on small saltwater speedsters like false albacore and bluefish. The drag got torched by a school of yellowtail under a kelp paddy off of San Diego but after it got rebuilt I used it with deadly effect on king salmon in California, and lent it to a friend who used it to teach some Alaskan king salmon a thing or two.

There are some good Daiwa baitcasters out there and they are definitely competitive with the Shimanos. Like Don in Denver I lean towards the ABU Garcias and Shimanos because they make most (but not all) of their reels in RH and LH retrieve.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Shimano = durability, smoothness, adjustability, durability, fit and finish, durability, bearing quality, durablity... They hold up to saltwater (and saltwater fish)...Nuff said.  I don't know about ice fishing with them (or any other reel for that matter!), but I like the idea of changing to cold weather lube as mentioned above. CL

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Don In Denver said:
coloradoman25 said:
I love Shimano baitcasters because of the super smooth drags at a "reasonable" price and lots of models in LH retrieve.
Fellow southpaw... :D

Its a real PITA when new reels come out and they dont have a LH model-- like the Revo HS.

D

·
0 Posts
Tim-

I'm right handed. But it never made sense to me to cast with the right hand, then switch the rod to the left hand, so you can retrieve with the right hand. Nobody does it with a spinning outfit, why would you do it with a baitcaster?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Michael in Parker said:
I have a shimano curado baitcaster reel w/ a 6'6  team daiwa fishing pole I will sell you for $100
I decided to get a Daiwa Megaforce reel. It has a 7.1:1 gear ratio, "Twitchin Bar'", Free Floating spool, MagforceZ breaking system, infinate anti reverse, 5 ball bearings plus 2 roller bearings, and it holds 125yd. of 14lb mono(I will use 10lb Spiderwire so it will hold a ton of line!)
Tell me what you think!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts