Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a discussion with a buddy of mine. With ice fishing around the corner and hitting the hard water for mac's, If one of us has the fortune to bring a beast to the top of course C&R is in the question but we've heard that the air bladder causes problems for lakers to get back down to the depths we caught them.

Anyone know the offical take on that?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Lake trout have an opening between the swim bladder and their throat (essentially) that allows them to expel air rapidly. That's why you see the big bubbles as you bring them up from deep water in the summer. In most instances you will not have a problem releasing them and having them swim right back down.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Hit the big ones on the head let em chill on the ice and then take em home and grill time baby! No need to mess with the air bladder stuff. LOL

·
Registered
24,494 Posts
Theyre lakers...they taste like crap...either let them go or plant them with your tomato plants...

·
Registered
24,494 Posts
Nope...resurrecting the Hobies Hole thread in the fishing reports is stirring the pot...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's good to know. It'd be a bummer slide'em back into the water only to have them croke anyway.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
anglin'archer said:
I'm having a discussion with a buddy of mine. With ice fishing around the corner and hitting the hard water for mac's, If one of us has the fortune to bring a beast to the top of course C&R is in the question but we've heard that the air bladder causes problems for lakers to get back down to the depths we caught them.

Anyone know the offical take on that?
All salmonids have a special duct that allows them to control the amount of air in their swim bladder. So they can be released from any depth. The "talking" or gurgling sound Slayer speaks of is when the Lake Trout releases the air through this duct.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
What Ice said is almost always true here in Colorado, but if the fish come out of 100 or more feet of water they can bloat and are not able to swim back down (it's common in other states)

If it happens I use a small hook through the skin of there lip and a big weight (6+ oz) to send them back down, and then a tug on the rod and they are set free right in their home. I think the link Jay posted talks about a "sender" to do the same thing.

·
Registered
24,494 Posts
A 99 cent screwdriver through between the eyes does the same thing...cheaper than a six ounce weight...

Yes I am kidding...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts