Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ice said:
anglin'archer said:
I'm having a discussion with a buddy of mine. With ice fishing around the corner and hitting the hard water for mac's, If one of us has the fortune to bring a beast to the top of course C&R is in the question but we've heard that the air bladder causes problems for lakers to get back down to the depths we caught them.

Anyone know the offical take on that?
All salmonids have a special duct that allows them to control the amount of air in their swim bladder. So they can be released from any depth. The "talking" or gurgling sound Slayer speaks of is when the Lake Trout releases the air through this duct.
Is that the same thing that makes a catfish cuss?

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
pikester said:
Ice said:
anglin'archer said:
I'm having a discussion with a buddy of mine. With ice fishing around the corner and hitting the hard water for mac's, If one of us has the fortune to bring a beast to the top of course C&R is in the question but we've heard that the air bladder causes problems for lakers to get back down to the depths we caught them.

Anyone know the offical take on that?
All salmonids have a special duct that allows them to control the amount of air in their swim bladder. So they can be released from any depth. The "talking" or gurgling sound Slayer speaks of is when the Lake Trout releases the air through this duct.
Is that the same thing that makes a catfish cuss?
No cats, are worried there might be dogs near by.

·
Registered
301 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
TAL0362 said:
I think the link Jay posted talks about a "sender" to do the same thing.
http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html

I haven't had to use mine yet, but Tarponjim says he has had good results with it at the Gorge.
I wouldn't be caught without one. I use my Shelton tool EVERY week to release the few that don't expel the air.

G

·
0 Posts
I see nothing wrong with keeping smaller lakers. The bigger ones should be released to help further the species.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
grandpuba said:
I see nothing wrong with keeping smaller lakers. The bigger ones should be released to help further the species.
But a larger one can keep my whole lawn green for a few months! It has to be atleast 20+lbs.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Here is Mackinaw Matt's laker release from last winter.
You gotta know Matt - he typically doesnt let anything go back! ;D

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
andyrm66 said:
grandpuba said:
But a larger one can keep my whole lawn green for a few months! It has to be atleast 20+lbs.
thanks for adding value to this site ........ :-* :-* :-*

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
bobco said:
andyrm66 said:
grandpuba said:
LOL

Watch out! Oh wait.........it went right over his head anyways.......

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
bobco said:
andyrm66 said:
grandpuba said:
Just trying to keep up with likes of everyone else./ Laugh a little, it'll do you good.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've had 'em burp at me when we land them through the ice - though I'm usually fishing in fairly shallow water (>35fow) so they're not really hurtin there. Deepest I got a fish with bernie was about 70fow, I think, and I don't exactly remember the whole thing, though I do vaguely recall a lot of bubbles coming up from the fish before I landed it. Though if I did more mack fishing in the summer, I'd seriously consider one of those sender rigs.... but no boat, so not really an issue...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts