Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

If you were to catch a legal Tiger here in Co. 36" or larger would you realease it?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would take a picture and let it go. there are plenty of more plentiful fish to eat around.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like a loaded question - reply "no" and get bashed as if you posted a picture of dead fish. I'm pulling up a chair...let the games begin ;D

·
P I K E
10,112 Posts
   Ok here goes, guess I'll start it, been ripped before...LOL...When fishing for tigers I am looking for the one big one that fits my criteria for a trophy, or a new state record. As rare as they are as a breed I will only keep one and that is for the wall of fame! If I crave esox meat there are plenty of pike around and I love pike! I am a sportsman and I don't spend literally thousands of dollars a year for a picture,I have only my trophy pike on the wall now so that should tell you how picky I am. I also don't keep anything except pike and walleye to eat myself, if a relative or neighbor wants some trout I'll bring a couple home for them. If someone was to tell me that Ike or Shaw or anyone of the pro's doesn't have some trophy mounts on their wall, Sorry but I would have to call ya a liar!!!  >:D 
     You asked for honesty...LOL... LET IT BEGIN!!!
         Good luck & cya on the water!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not trying to cause any controversy, just testing the water.
I've caught a few but never kept any, not to say that I wouldn't. If it were a state record or the fish obviously would not survive I probably would, but I havent been put in that sitiation yet.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if it was a record fish, heck no, let it go but a nice legal fish id keep it and eat it i probably wouldnt keep every one but if they taste good and are leagl to keep go for it

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I've kept plenty of Musky back home, but never a tiger. I personally don't think that people should, only because they do not naturally reproduce. As for a trophy, in today's age it is easy to take pictures and measurements and get it mounted that way.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Pictures are all I need. If I wanted I could get a repro mount made. To me, Muskies, Bass and Pike are all for catching and releasing, I have no need to keep them.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Oh boy. Ive said this a million times. IMO all hybrid fish should be put back. IE: Wiper. Heard Aurora is no longer stocking them. Thats why they should be put back.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Agree with afishman. I'd take a picture and let it go. I'm perfectly willing to keep fish for the table, but not the hybrids. I'm not even that keen on having my name on a state record, I'd still let it go. And my wife manages to clutter up the walls just fine without any help from me.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I aint scared, if it was a state record I'd probably keep it. If not I'd more then likely release it, tigers are too boney and at 36" to old to eat. They are put in the waters to control fish populations and to give anglers a chance at a fish over 30" that most would otherwise never get. I voted for yes I'd release it only because the one I would keep I probably will never catch.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
For me, most likely yes, unless there were too many in the fishery. OR, if the fishery was healthy (IE good balance of tigers and prey), and I caught the record, I would keep the record, but only if I was 100% sure it was a record, meaning it obviously has to beat the old one. I'm the same way for pike over 36"- I will keep only the record from any fishery besides lake X or the yampa river, or if the fishery had too many pike over 36"- but none are there to my knowledge...hopefully stagecoach never gets that way. Tangent over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are they still stocking Tiger Muskie? When I look at the State stocking reports it seems most are just rainbows and a very few rainbow hybrids.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I dont think I would know what to do if I caught something that large. The largest fish I have ever caught has been a 5lbs bluecat and was almost a state record in WV. I keep a few fish and release a few. I think I would keep it for the record.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, not a whole lot of participation, but 90% incouraging.

·
Registered
862 Posts
i just had this convo with my partner the other day when were out for the afternoon at arvada res I myself would most likely throw it back take a picture and thats good enough for me as far as the tigers go

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

I don't usually keep fish, except when I'm camping, and even then it's small brookies I'm after.  Tigers get big, but if you want fish to eat, stocked rainbows are ideal.  If you catch a good Tiger, just remember the awe and adrenaline rush catching it gave you.  Wouldn't it be nice if another fisherman enjoyed the same thrill?  Take a quick picture and let it go.  

D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts