Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Youtube video >>>>> http://youtu.be/iaf8V-Uy1ew

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/hook-removal-string-yank/ $$$

The reason that I recommend you guys become intimate with the line trick is because it saved my sister a ton of pain last night. We were fishing and she went to hand me a lure. She handed it to me and pulled back and felt the point of the hook. She jerked, being a fishing noob, which caused both of us to be hooked past the barb on the same lure. Luckily, NealCo was there with some pliers (i was not prepared). We cut the hooks off the jerkbait and thought about WTF to do. With everyone around me being unfamiliar, or not wanting to do it, with the line trick, I was forced to push the hook through the other side. This was MASS pain. Super sucked.

Once I got it through, we cut it and I slid it back through. One down. I went over and looked at my sister's situation. It was pretty miserable. She was light headed and needed to sit down (thank christ she didn't pass out while hooked to me). I decided that hers would be taken out with the fishing line trick. I had watched the video last year and studied it very close. So we looped it up and I braced myself for some possible superscreaming and yanked realllly hard. The hook came out easily and with a nice little pinging sound. Skye looked up and said "damn I barely felt that!!!!!!!!!" :lol:

She lucked out big time that I knew that trick. I hope you guys watch that video and other stuff up there real close because it will save you, or someone you are fishing with, a ton of pain one day. I went all my life without being hooked past the barb until last night. It's going to happen to all of us at one point or another, and it is best to be prepared. I will be carrying a pair of wire cutters with me from now on, in addition to the knowledge of this handy hook removal trick.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Awesome! Not that you got hooked, but that you cried!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
F*** dude. I've never been stuck that bad... Just lucky I guess.

Thanks for the tip... On the tip... And the barb.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Knock on wood never have been stuck past the barb. I feel watching the vid will just jinx my next outing bringing bad luck and guarantee burying a hook to the bend.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I watched that one too. It will make me think twice about doing that with bigger hooks. That guy seems like kind of a dummy though. He was pulling upward instead of straight out. Also, it seems easier to use the link technique with a treble hook. Those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Knock on wood never have been stuck past the barb. I feel watching the vid will just jinx my next outing bringing bad luck and guarantee burying a hook to the bend.
Funny you say that. I fished 3 days ago with my sister and I mentioned to her that I hadn't been hooked past the barb in all my years of fishing. The jinx is real. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I watched that one too. It will make me think twice about doing that with bigger hooks. That guy seems like kind of a dummy though. He was pulling upward instead of straight out. Also, it seems easier to use the link technique with a treble hook. Those are my thoughts.
I saw one a while back and the guy kept doing it with progressively larger hooks until he got to a BIG hook!! Couldnt find that video though. :/

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I popped one out of some Vietnamese Al Lindner a while back.

He was like "You done? That's it? Crazy!" then he was like "Bắt cá hai tay!"

One piece of advice, I strongly recommend that you make it a sudden, abrupt, SHARP SNAP, not a gradual tug or a half-assed pull. Makes life better. Another thing, the flesh around the hook begins to swell as soon as the hook is lodged, so the quicker you can get it out, the better you are.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Pinch the barbs. It's less painful.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Was hooked twice last year..Once in the chest with a treble fishing at night at Pueblo. I tried to get the clerk at Loaf and Jug to pull it out using the line trick. She wouldn't do it. So, I drove home and woke my son. Took a second to remove it and didn't hurt at all.

I hadn't had a tetanus shot since I'd cut my finger off over ten years ago.. So, I went in to the Doc's to get the shot. He asked me how I'd removed the hook and I told him about the you tube vids. He hadn't ever heard anything about it. Said he always numbed them up and cut it out.

I saw him a month later when I was getting my blood tested and he said he had watched the video and had used it to remove a hook from a patient. Couldn't believe how well it worked. Said he had shown the other Doc's in the office the vid and that they were all going to use that method in the future.

Works like a charm.

As for the other time...A three treble lure...one treble in the fish..and two in my fingers..I was holding the fish wondering what I was going to do..Colorado river..Brown trout..when he started flopping around and ripped both hooks out of my fingers..Much more blood..much more pain..but equally effective.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
About 20 years ago I was watching a Bill Dance show and he buried a hook in his thumb. He did the line trick. Its always been something I've remembered and hoped I'd never have to use!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts