Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would post up a quick thread as a reminder to all with boats/toons/tubes/rafts... Anything with a T-motor or batteries period!!

I headed over to the location that I store my boat on Saturday… Pulled off the covers to let it all air out… Plugged in the Trolling motor batteries and the starting battery and let them all charge overnight.. Then on Sunday afternoon I covered it all back up.

How often does everyone charge there batteries during the winter(If you dont keep it on a battery tender)??

Reason I ask is that I winterized my boat back in the beginning of November(Water pump was out and figured i'd fix it this spring.) And when I went to charge the batteries they were pretty much full still.

If I can get my boat out in March or April(Fingers crossed)... Will I really need to charge the batteries again between now and then?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think it would depend on if you store them inside or out side. I think inside batteries could go alot longer between charges. Since mine are inside I usually just rotate the battery tender between batteries when I think about it.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I have to store my boat outside... And not even at my own place :(

·
Registered
902 Posts
Couldn't you still bring your expensive batteries home for winter? Plus they'd be less likely to be stolen vs sitting in a lot? My dad left his rv trailer plugged in for two years straight and thought the batteries would be fine. When the electric jack wouldn't work he finally took a look at the batteries. They had almost 2 inches of battery acid corrosion junk on em.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Couldn't you still bring your expensive batteries home for winter? Plus they'd be less likely to be stolen vs sitting in a lot? My dad left his rv trailer plugged in for two years straight and thought the batteries would be fine. When the electric jack wouldn't work he finally took a look at the batteries. They had almost 2 inches of battery acid corrosion junk on em.
Hmmmm... Not sure why... But I never even considered removing the batteries during the winter.(Really only a slight hassle) I could have pulled them all and kept them in my basement. Would be alot easier to maintain and would be kept inside rather than out in the cold. Also like you said it would prevent theft.

I'll def. be considering it next year, Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Get a heated garage-problem solved.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get a heated garage-problem solved.
If only!! I already have a non-heated garage that will not fit my boat LMAO. I have seriously been considering installing a folding tongue though!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts