Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may know of this but if you don't let me be the first to tell you it works and was totally painless for me.

Many years ago, I was fishing the S. Platte between Spinney and Elevenmile Resvs. I wound up with a #16 hare's ear buried beyond the barb on the left side, below the finger nail of my right index finger. I went to the store near the reservoir and had this procedure performed on me by the owner of the store.

A few years after that, I performed the procedure on a friend's girlfriend with zero pain to her. My friend is a doctor. He told me that in medical school, they don't teach this method.

Depending on where the hook is on your body, you can do this solo. The secret to success is to push down on the bend of the hook while you pull on the line.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know how to post videos on here, but I had to perform this procedure this last fall up near stagecoach lake on a buddy of mine. Long story short, being a Doctor i was nominated to do the pulling. We watched numerous youtube videos on how to do so and they recommended using a 20 lb test line...we didn't have that we only had 10# test, so we found that dental floss is comparable to 20# test, so we used that. I have a pretty good video...would love to post it!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
This method does work, but makes hook removal way more complicated than necessary. Just use a needle nosed pliers or hemostats (sold pretty much everywhere you can buy flies and lures). You just get a good grip on the shaft of the hook and pull straight out. Do it quick and it doesn't hurt too much. All the screwing around with a hook in your flesh, (cutting off the extra hooks, trying to get the line lined up just right with the right tension, etc). just prolongs the whole process. And you really do need a tetanus booster every ten years if you are going to be playing with sharp objects like fishooks (yes, BEFORE you get stuck, duh).

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Nice avatar pic Doc! Post the video on Youtube then you can share it on here.

If you post a youtube video, copy the URL. Do not use the URL when you click "Share," use the URL in the browser and remove the "s" so it is http instead of https and it'll show up like the video below... and Maker's Mark always helps!

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
This method does work, but makes hook removal way more complicated than necessary. Just use a needle nosed pliers or hemostats (sold pretty much everywhere you can buy flies and lures). You just get a good grip on the shaft of the hook and pull straight out. Do it quick and it doesn't hurt too much. All the screwing around with a hook in your flesh, (cutting off the extra hooks, trying to get the line lined up just right with the right tension, etc). just prolongs the whole process. And you really do need a tetanus booster every ten years if you are going to be playing with sharp objects like fishooks (yes, BEFORE you get stuck, duh).
Yup just grab the pliers and rip it out. No big deal-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts